Mechanical Examination, Licensing Information and ApplicationsLicensed Mechanical Contractors can perform installations, alterations, servicing, and secure permits.
When evidence is produced that an applicant is a graduate of a recognized trade school, credit shall be given the applicant, but such credit shall not exceed 1 year or 2,000 hours of the required 3 years of experience.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in each of the work classifications applied for below.
- Hydronic heating and cooling and process piping
- HVAC equipment
- Limited heating service
- Unlimited heating service
- Limited refrigeration and air conditioning service
- Unlimited refrigeration and air conditioning service
- Fire Suppression
- Specialty License
- Solar Heating and Cooling
- Solid Fuel and Vented Decorative Gas Appliances
- LP Distribution Piping
- Fuel Gas Piping
- Fuel Gas Piping and Venting
Must take and pass an examination for each work classification desired.
Examination Package for Mechanical Contractor
- Application for Mechanical Contractor License Examination
- Mechanical Contractor License Examination Information
- Mechanical Contractor Licensing Exam Reference Materials
- Board of Mechanical Rules Licensing Examination Rules - R 338.901-338.914
- 1984 PA 192 Forbes Mechanical Contractors Act
2015 Exam Dates
Application Deadline Date
|Tuesday, March 10, 2015||
|February 13, 2015|
|Tuesday, June 9, 2015||
|May 15, 2015|
|Tuesday, September 15, 2015||
|August 14, 2015|
|Tuesday, December 8, 2015||
|November 6, 2015|
The exam site and parking are accessible. Individuals attending the exam are requested to refrain from using heavily scented personal care products, in order to enhance accessibility for everyone. Please make sure all cell phones, pagers and other personal electronic devices are turned off or set to vibrate. People with disabilities requiring additional services (such as materials in alternative format) should contact the Mechanical Division at 517-241-9325 at least 10 work days before the event. LARA is an equal opportunity employer/program.
Dates, times and locations are subject to change. Questions regarding board meetings or examinations should be directed to the Mechanical Division at 517-241-9325.