Skip Navigation
LARA: Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Official Web Site for the State of Michigan Home
close print view

Cosmetology Frequently Asked Questions


Cosmetology Frequently Asked Questions

The answers provided are not meant to be a substitute for legal advice.

The laws and rules applicable to this profession are found at the following links:

Information:Department of Licensing and Regulatory AffairsCoporations, Secuirites, & Commercial Licensing BureauLicensing DivisionPO BOX 30018Lansing, MI 48909(517)

All applications and forms can be found under Forms and Publications. 

Question:  How do I get Certification of my license sent to another state?Answer:  Submit the Cosmetology Certification Request form.

Question:  How can I find out how many hours I have from school?Answer:  Contact the school you attended.  If the school has closed, submit a Cosmetology Certification Request form.

Question:  Can I renew my license online?Answer:  Yes, you may renew your license by visiting our website at

Question:  Can I apply for relicensure online?Answer:  No.  You would need to submit an Application for Relicensure form. 

Question:  My license was lost/stolen/destroyed, how do I get a new one?Answer:  Submit the Request for Duplicate License form. 

Question:  I am licensed in another state, how do I become licensed in Michigan?Answer:  Article 12, Section 1211 of the Occupational Code, Act 299 of 1980, provides this information.  The information is located at the following link:  Submit an out-of state license application to apply for licensure. 

Question:  Can I have a translator when I take my state exam?Answer:  Translators are only allowed if approved, in writing, by PSI Services, LLC.  You can contact PSI at (800)733-9267.

Question:  What do I need to bring to the state exam?Answer:  Contact PSI Services, LLC at (800) 733-9267 to obtain a list of required supplies.  You may visit PSI's website at for further information regarding the exam. 

Question:  How old does my model have to be?Answer:  Models are only required for individuals taking the esthetician exam.  You may visit PSI's website at for further information regarding the exam. 

Question:  Can I come to your office to pick up the license?Answer:  No, the licenses are not printed from this office and are not available for pick-up.


Question:  If an apprenticeship is terminated who should report it?Answer:  A cosmetology establishment shall report the termination of any student or apprentice to the Department in writing. 


Question:  What do I need to do if I change my shop location?Answer:  Licenses are issued to a specific address; therefore, you must submit a new application and all other required documentation (i.e. floor plan) to obtain a new license for the establishment.

Question:  Since I am submitting an application for a shop that already exists, am I required to send in a diagram with my application?Answer:  Yes.


Related Content
 •  Enforcement & Complaints
 •  Purchase License Lists and Data
 •  Disciplinary Action Reports
 •  Sanitation & Public Health
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan