Cosmetology Examination Application InformationAgency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Upon successful completion of an apprenticeship or school course of study, an individual may apply for approval to take the state board examinations. Article 12 of the Occupational Code requires that all applicants, except persons wishing to become licensed as an instructor, must successfully pass a state board qualifying examination which consists of both theory (written) and practical ("hands on") portions that illustrate an applicant's understanding of concepts and proper procedure. Applicants for an instructor's license need only take a theory (written) examination.
To obtain approval to take the cosmetologist examination, an application must be submitted through our online service, MyLicense. The application for cosmetologist exam consists of several parts. You may wish to print and review both the Candidate Information Brochure and the MyLicense application instructions before you proceed with your application.
Please complete the following steps:
- Create a new user account or access your existing user account in the MyLicense application
- Create an initial application for a cosmetology license by examination and pay fees through the MyLicense application.
- Submit any additional documentation or information to the Bureau of Commercial Services, if applicable. NOTE: If you have been convicted of a crime, have had disciplinary action taken against a license or registration, or do not have the required education needed to become licensed, your eligibility or ineligibility to take the cosmetology exams will be communicated to PSI Services, LLC (PSI) after department staff has reviewed your license application.
- Mail or fax the Michigan Cosmetology Examination Registration Form, with appropriate fees, to PSI (see the Candidate Information Brochure for the mailing address or fax number to PSI).
- Contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267 to schedule your examination dates approximately 2 days after submitting the exam registration form and exam fees to their office.
Upon successful completion of all required examination portions, you will be issued a pocket Photo ID card at the examination site. Your wall license, to be displayed at your place of practice, will be mailed to you approximately 7 days after passing the theory (written) portion of the examination.