Skip Navigation
LARA: Department of Licensing and Regulatory AffairsPORTAL_HEADER_LOGO Home
close print view

What happens if my license or registration expires?

If your license or registration is not renewed within 60 days after your expiration date, your license or registration will lapse. The expiration date will reflect the original expiration date -- it will not include the grace period. For example: If your license expires January 31, you have until April 1 to pay your renewal fee. If you do not pay by April 1, your license is considered lapsed as of January 31. You will need to check with the agencies that provide reimbursement for your services to see if they honor the grace period.


When your license or registration lapses, you can no longer practice your profession nor can you identify yourself as a licensed or registered individual. Practicing without a valid license or registration is a felony under the Public Health Code and can result in legal proceedings as well as disciplinary actions.


It is your responsibility to make sure your license or registration is current and valid. We send renewal information to the last address on file approximately 60 days prior to the expiration date. If we have an incorrect address, you are still responsible for making sure your license has been renewed in a timely manner.


Related Content
 •  How do I verify my Michigan license to another state?
 •  How long are the DDS, RDH and RDA licenses issued for? Can I renew my license early? How will I know when I need to renew?
 •  I need to verify whether someone has a license. How can I do that?
 •  How long will you keep my licensure application on file?
 •  The application asks for the state(s) I have been licensed in and asks for the basis of licensure. What does that mean? What if I'm licensed in more than one state? Do you need verification from all ...
 •  How can I change my name or address?
 •  If I have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor, will this stop me from obtaining a Michigan license?
 •  How long does it take to process my application?
 •  How long does it take for your office to receive my correspondence?
 •  What is the purpose of the different types of applications?
 •  Is everything in my file complete? How can I find out what is missing?
 •  I work in more than one location. How can I have my license on display in all of my work areas?
 •  I know that I have to do continuing education to renew my license. Since this is my first initial license and it's not for a full licensing period, do I need to complete CEs for my first renewal?
 •  Can I submit the renewal application for my controlled substance license before submitting the renewal for my professional license?
 •  Do I need a controlled substance license for every location in which I practice?
 •  Do I have to renew my controlled substance (CS) license if I am not currently living in Michigan and my professional license is active? Can I renew the CS license later if I move back to Michigan?
 •  Can you give me information on my DEA license or how to get a DEA license?
 •  My renewal date is coming up soon. I know that the license/registration will be valid until the expiration date after I renew. Since I will be moving next year, I only want to renew it for 1 year. Can I ...
 •  What if I don't earn enough continuing education credits?
 •  Can I use any additional hours I earned over the required hours for the next renewal period?
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan