close print view
Michigan Board of Optometry
The Michigan Board of Optometry was originally formed with the enactment of Public Act 71 of 1909. On September 30, 1978, this authority was transferred to the Public Health Code, Public Act 368 of 1978, as amended.
On March 26, 1984, the Governor signed Public Act 42, which allowed optometrists to be certified to administer topical ocular diagnostic pharmaceutical agents to the anterior segment of the human eye. Rules allowing the board to certify optometrists to administer diagnostic agents were promulgated on July 13, 1985.
The Public Health Code mandates certain responsibilities and duties for a health professional licensing board. Underlying all duties is the responsibility of the board to promote and protect the public's health, safety, and welfare. This responsibility is implemented by the Board by ascertaining minimal entry level competency of health practitioners and verifying continuing education during licensure. The Board also has the obligation to take disciplinary action against licensees who have adversely affected the public's health, safety, and welfare.
The Board of Optometry consists of 9 voting members: 5 optometrists and 4 public members.