• Adult Palliative Care Program, University of Michigan Health System Palliative Care Consultation offers active, comprehensive support for managing patients with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions. Palliative care can be appropriate at all stages of illness, not just the terminal phase, and can be provided at the same time as active or life-prolonging treatments.
• Advancing Excellence in America's Nursing Homes Comprised of long term care providers, medical professionals, consumers, employees, and state and federal agencies, AE is the largest and first coalition of its kind to measure quality by setting clinical and organizational goals for nursing homes.
• The Alliance of State Pain Initiatives (ASPI) A network of state-based Pain Initiative organizations that work to remove the barriers that impede pain relief through education, advocacy and institutional improvement.
• An Informational Outline of the Controlled Substances Act Practitioner's Manual - An Informational Outline of the Controlled Substances Act, published by the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration.
• Clinical Process Guidelines Information from the Bureau of Health Systems - these guidelines may be useful in the implementation of certain components which enable evaluation and management of patient concerns related to a variety of topics.
• Clinical Process Guidelines: Pain Management
• The Cochrane Library The Cochrane Collaboration is a worldwide organization focused on delivering evidence-based healthcare information. NOTE: The department does not officially endorse the treatment guidelines on the Cochrane website.
• DEA Policy Statement on Dispensing Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, policy statement on the dispensing controlled substances for the treatment of pain, dated August 28, 2006.
• FDA and ISMP Lists of Look-Alike Drug Name Sets With Recommended Tall Man Letters The sets of look-alike drug names in this document have been
modified using "tall man" letters to help draw attention to the
dissimilarities in their names. Several studies have shown that
highlighting sections of drug names using tall man (mixed case) letters can help distinguish similar drug names, making them less prone to mix-ups.
• FDA Safe Use Initiative - Collaborating to Reduce Preventable Harm from Medications FDA Safe Use Initiative - Collaborating to Reduce Preventable Harm from Medications
• Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc. - Model Policy for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain (May 2004) The Model Policy for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain was developed in collaboration with pain experts around the country to provide guidance to state medical boards in developing pain policies and regulations.
• Managing Chronic Non-Terminal Pain
Including Prescribing Controlled Substances Information from University of Michigan Health Center
• Medical Board of Ohio Adopts Resolution Regarding Prescription Drug Abuse Ohio creates 2011 resolution that inappropriate prescribing practices such as those set forth above present an immediate and serious harm to the public and based on individual circumstances, could warrant a summary suspension.
• Medicine and Osteopathic Medicine Guidelines for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain
• Minnesota Board of Medical Practice Pain Management Website See what Minnesota is doing regarding pain management initiatives.