Michigan Board of Chiropractic
The Michigan Board of Chiropractic was originally formed with the enactment of Public Act 145 of 1933. On September 30, 1978 this authority was transferred to the Public Health Code, Public Act 368 of 1978, as amended.
The practice of chiropractic as defined in the Public Health Code means that discipline within the healing arts that deals with the human nervous system and the musculoskeletal system and their interrelationship with other body systems.
The Public Health Code mandates certain responsibilities and duties for a health professional licensing board. Underlying all duties is the responsibility of the board to promote and protect the public's health, safety, and welfare. This responsibility is implemented by the Board by ascertaining minimal entry level competency of health practitioners and verifying continuing education during licensure. The Board also has the obligation to take disciplinary action against licensees who have adversely affected the public's health, safety, and welfare.
The Michigan Board of Chiropractic consists of 9 voting members: 5 chiropractors and 4 public members.