Michigan Board of Osteopathic Medicine and SurgeryThe Michigan Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery was originally formed with the enactment of Public Act 162 of 1903. This Act regulated the practice of osteopathic medicine and surgery in the State of Michigan; provided for the examination, licensing and registration of osteopathic physicians and surgeons; and provided for the discipline of offenders against the Act. On September 30, 1978, this authority was transferred to the Public Health Code, Public Act 368 of 1978, as amended.
The practice of osteopathic medicine and surgery, as defined in the Public Health Code, means a separate, complete, and independent school of medicine and surgery, utilizing full methods of diagnosis and treatment in physical and mental health and disease, including the presentation and administration of drugs and biologicals, operative surgery, obstetrics, radiological and other electromagnetic emissions, and placing special emphasis on the interrelationship of the musculoskeletal system to other body systems.
The Public Health Code mandates certain responsibilities and duties for a health professional licensing board. Underlying all duties is the responsibility of the board to promote and protect the public's health, safety, and welfare. This responsibility is implemented by the Board by ascertaining minimal entry level competency of health practitioners and verifying continuing medical education during licensure. The Board also has the obligation to take disciplinary action against licensees who have adversely affected the public's health, safety, and welfare.
The Michigan Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery consists of 11 voting members: 7 osteopathic physicians, 1 physician's assistant, and 3 public members.