Abrams Collection Genealogy Highlights
Volume 1, Number 3
Because Internet resources change so frequently, it is difficult to create a current list of genealogy Web sites. Items on this "webliography" have been selected because of the quality of the information and the stability of the sites. This aid will also allow researchers to focus on a short list of the sites, plan search strategies off line and save time when they begin to search the Internet.
Some research suggestions:
- Ask your local genealogy society or library for information concerning using the Internet for genealogical research. They may have developed useful guides for searching the Internet.
- Remember that almost anyone can create a homepage on the Internet with genealogical content. Be critical of genealogical information taken from an Internet source. Can you prove it by using other resources?
- "Surfing the Net" may not be the best use of your limited research time. Don't forget about traditional paper, microfiche and microfilm formats.
- Bookmark useful sites so that you will easily find them again.
- Use URLs whenever possible. Keyword searching through an Internet browser often results in thousands of hits.
Library of Michigan's Genealogy Collection Page
Information about genealogy and the Library of Michigan's collection as well as popular genealogy forms.
MeL, the Michigan eLibrary
This basic list of genealogy links will help you get started.
American Ancestors: New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS)
The homepage of one of the nation's largest genealogical organizations.
Contains many genealogy databases. The Social Security Death Index (SSDI) is available to search at no charge. The Library of Michigan has purchased on-site access to the subscription databases.
Good collection of information for the genealogist as well as information about ROOTS-L.
Barrel of Genealogy Links
A resource for numerous links to genealogical Web sites.
Comprehensive collection of Internet genealogy resources. This is an excellent starting point.
Ellis Island Homepage
Official homepage of the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation.
Family Tree Maker Online
Family Tree Maker offers several online genealogy classes as well as information about its software products.
Federation of Genealogical Societies
Homepage of the national organization.
National Archives and Records Administration Genealogy Page
This genealogy page lists resources available at the National Archives and discusses how to access the records and interpret them.
National Genealogy Society
Information about the society and how to submit research requests.
Rootsweb Genealogical Data Cooperative
Home of the ROOTS-L genealogy listserv and the Roots Surname List.
Grassroots project to get genealogy information online for each county in the United States. Each state has a page listing types of records available.
A listing of Web sites under individual surnames.
Search the Library of Michigan's ANSWER online catalog. ANSWER allows rapid searching for materials held at the Library by keyword, author, title, subject or call number.
Top of Page