Welcome to Statewide Library Services
- We provide wide-ranging services to library staff and trustees around the state including MeL coordination, certification for librarians, LSTA administration, state aid and penal fines, Plinkit coordination, resources for library trustees and statistical data. Phone: (517) 373-1580 Fax: (517) 373-5700
- Contact Statewide Library Services Staff
- Library of Michigan A - Z Index
- Michlib-L (mish-libe el) By, for and about Michigan libraries.
- Library of Michigan ListservsListservs hosted by Library of Michigan staff (or, in the case of GOVDOC-M, a list of interest to people who may have been subscribed to a Library of Michigan listserv in the past).
- Public Library Internet Access Requirements State and federal regulations and best practice guidelines regarding Internet access in libraries.
Workshops & Events
Statewide Library Services
Great Things Happening Around the State
- Dearborn Public Library (DPL) Showcased for Great Programming in Library JournalHow would you like to draw 3,388 people to your One Book events? Ask DPL for tips! Their 2014 Big Read of The Call of the Wild by Jack London involved community partners in the schools and the Henry Ford Museum. It was chosen specifically for its wide appeal and made for an extremely successful One Book program. Congratulations DPL!
- Chelsea District Library's Articles and Databases PageCDL has designed their site to provide and promote MeL's resources right alongside locally purchased ones. They cleverly use the graphics found on the MeL databases page for a bright, engaging look. They're available to you, too! Check out their site at the link above for a job very well done.
- Saginaw's Zauel Memorial Library Receives $50,000 GiftTrish Burns, director of the Public Libraries of Saginaw, told MLive recently about the gift. The donation is from community member Dr. Suryarao Kurumety to honor his legacy and commitment to learning. The funds are being used to refurbish the public conference room and bring it up to date.
- Welcome to Wayne Library's new co-director, Steve McGladderyThe Library of Michigan would like to join the city of Wayne, Michigan in welcoming their new library co-director! It sounds like he has enthusiasm and a great attitude, we look forward to working with him. Don't be shy about asking for a visit from an LM staff member for your next in-service day.
- Top Innovator: Grand Rapids library wins award for DigiBridge partnership with school districtGrand Rapids Public Library has teamed up with the Grand Rapids Public Schools to connect students and educators to the library's online resources and technology. The program provides students with eReaders, a technology camp, database training and digital library cards. Check them out at the Oct 29 ConnectMI Broadband Summit.
- Reader Dog Program at Grosse Pointe Public LibrariesKudos to this imaginative program now in its 11th year. Students in kindergarten through 5th grade are invited in to practice their reading skills - on therapy dogs. It's a comfortable environment to sharpen early literacy skills and the dogs love the attention. A win-win for everyone!
- Detroit Venture Partners interns create Detroit Public Library app to win Automation Alley hackathonDavid Kircos and Hunter Rosenblume, interns at Detroit Venture Partners, won Automation Alley's first 24-hour hackathon. The event, dubbed #hackDPL, tasked developers with building a mobile app for the Detroit Public Library. The pair won a $5,000 prize, allowing users to search the library's catalog and order e-books.