The Impact of Michigan School Librarians on Academic Achievement: Kids Who Have Libraries Succeed. A Library of Michigan research project that showed school library media programs have a statistically significant positive impact on reading achievement in grades 4, 7, and 11. Hosted at the Internet Archive
- Technology Readiness Resources - Michigan Department of Education Includes sample technology plans.
School Libraries for the 21st Century Measurement Benchmarks (SL 21) are a tool to help measure the quality of School Library programs within individual school buildings in Michigan. To achieve Qualified and Exemplary Status for a School Library program, submit completed measurement benchmark evaluations to the Library of Michigan, an Office of the Michigan Department of Education. School administrators are to evaluate their building's School Library program in conjunction with their School Librarian and submissions require the signature of their District Superintendent. Status earned are valid for three years. The SL 21 measures are reviewed and revised every three years by the Library of Michigan and the School Library Workgroup to ensure that the measures are relevant and appropriate for Michigan's school library programs. Please contact Karren Reish at email@example.com or 517-241-0021 with any questions on the SL 21 program.
- SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries for 21st Century Schools
- SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries for 21st Century Schools
- School Library Workgroup
The School Library Workgroup (SLG) is a group of school librarians and school library related professionals. Through up to two meetings a summer with the Library of Michigan, the group is a forum charged with maintaining the SL 21 standards and discussing current issues in Michigan school libraries. School Library Workgroup Charge.
- K-12 School Library/Media Center Community Updates To stay informed about the SL 21 program and statewide resources, materials and events for use by K-12 students and staff, please join the School Library Community listserv. The listserv is for the Library of Michigan and the K-12 School Library Media Center community.
The Model 21st Century School Library (Model SL 21) program was established to provide quality examples and mentors for K-12 school libraries throughout the state. Libraries interested in serving as models for the school library community are welcome to nominate themselves at the survey below. Each year, a school library program will be highlighted as the Model SL 21 School Library Program of the Year. The expectations for the selected school library is that the staff will be willing to meet with other school library staff during their term as the Model library to help promote and encourage quality K-12 school library programs across the state.
Nominations are accepted in the spring, the Model Library for the coming school year is announced in May and serves as a mentor throughout the next year to library staff and schools around the state.
- Model SL 21 School Library Program Nomination Survey - Opening in spring 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year
- Model SL 21 School Library Programs Criteria, Schedule, Expectations and Recommendations
The Library of Michigan is pleased to recognize Carpenter Elementary School Library in the Lake Orion Community School district as the inaugural Model 21st Century School Library! Jeannine Crissman is the Technology and Library Specialist with Principal Adam Weldon. Jeannine and her library were selected because of the outstanding program at the school, including the coordinated technology curriculum, the community collaboration, especially with Orion Township Public Library, and her statewide professional activities that promote improved school library programs.
The staff at Carpenter Elementary School Library will be available for consultation and visits for the 2016-2017 school year. Those interested in learning about their programs, curriculum and outreach may contact Jeannine Crissman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karren Reish at email@example.com.
- Reach out and Read Developmental Milestones of Early Literacy (English)
- 0-5 Literacy Development Timeline
- Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade
- Leverage School Librarians to Achieve 3rd Grade Reading Proficiency From the Michigan Association for Media in Education
- The Model Curriculum for PA School Library Programs: Student Competencies: Grade Band PK-2
- Put Reading First: Kindergarten Through Grade 3
- Reading Rockets
- Educator Certification Administrative Rules
- Appropriate Assignments for Elementary Certified Teachers
- Utilization of Noncertified Personnel in Elementary and Secondary Schools
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and National Board Certification Information
- MDE Standards for Certification Endorsement
See the Library Media document in the list.
- MDE Educator Evaluations
- Michigan Reads!
What would happen if every parent, grandparent or caregiver read the same book to Michigan preschoolers at the same time? We're on a mission to find out! Michigan Reads! was launched in 2004 by the Library of Michigan in partnership with the Michigan Center for the Book to promote the value and benefits of reading early and often to preschoolers; to encourage family bonding through reading; and to increase awareness and usage of Michigan's libraries.
- Letters about Literature
READ. BE INSPIRED. WRITE BACK.
The Letters about Literature 2015-2016 materials and entry coupons are here! The Michigan Center for the Book and the Library of Michigan participate in the national Letters about Literature, an annual program from the Library of Congress. This national reading-writing contest invites readers in grades 4 through 12 to write letters to authors of books that have changed their lives.
- 21 Things 4 Students Content and technology every student should know from the REMC Association of Michigan.
- 21 Things for the 21st Century Educator Technology every educator should know from the Clinton RESA, Ingham ISD, Macomb ISD & the Shiawassee RESD.
- 21st Century Libraries in Michigan video - Libraries and Youth Section The Library of Michigan and the Bright Side Television Show collaborated on an episode showing the impact of Michigan's libraries in the 21st Century. The Libraries and Youth section includes interviews with the school librarians at Marshall Middle School and Swan Valley High School. See the full show (31 min.) at Episode 13: 21st Century Libraries and an episode guide here.
- AASL: American Association of School Librarians
- Act4SL A national advocacy group working "to ensure that every Pre K-12 student has access to a quality school library program and certified school librarian."
- Alliance for Excellent Education (All4Ed)
- Campaign for Grade Level Reading
3rd Grade Reading Success Matters - The Campaign is a collaborative effort by dozens of funders across the nation to: close the gap in reading achievement that separates many low-income students from their peers.
- Collection Development Policies and Resources - Montana Teacher Librarian site
- Department of Education Evaluation Highlights Success of Improving Literacy Through School Libraries Program 2009 American Library Association press release on the Second Evaluation of the Improving Literacy Through School Libraries (LSL) Program released by the U.S. Department of Education.
- DigitalLiteracy.gov Federal digital literacy resources and collaboration site.
- ESSA - School Librarians and the Every Student Succeeds Act (ALA)
ALA information page on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- ESSA and School Libraries: A Resource List
Resources on ESSA for school librarians from the Wyoming State Library
- Highly Effective School Library Program Colorado statewide program designed to bring recognition to the role that school library media programs and teacher librarians play in promoting student achievement.
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: The Role of the School Librarian Paper from Achieve and the American Association of School Libraries (November 2013) for school leaders and librarians to rethink and re-envision the role of the school library.
- Informational Brief: Impact of School Libraries on Student Achievement; October 2011 Report from the New York Comprehensive Center (NYCC)/RMC Research Corporation, the New York State Education Department, the New York State Library and the New York Library Association. This comprehensive brief provides a current and rigorous research analyses which demonstrates the positive impact that school libraries and school librarians have in advancing student learning.
- Leading In and Beyond the Library A report from the Alliance for Excellent Education on key role that school librarians and libraries should play in the transition to digital learning, and the effective use of technology to improve teaching and learning.
- Learning Space Toolkit A Resource for Designing and Sustaining Technology-Rich Informal Learning Spaces from North Carolina State University, IMLS and others.
- Library Research Service: School Library Section Results of school library studies from other states, school library statistics, and resources of interest to school librarians.
- Library Media Program Rubric (State of Kentucky)
Kentucky's program guidelines include funding recommendations.
- The LiLead Project IMLS funded research project on school library supervisors by the University of Maryland.
- LOEX Clearinghouse for Library Instruction: Instruction Resources
- MACUL: Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning
- Michigan Association for Media in Education - MAME Michigan Association for Media in Education (MAME) is an association of library media specialists dedicated to excellence in library / media services in Michigan's schools.
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Practical Ideas for Evaluating School Librarians Colorado Department of Education information on School Librarian evaluation. Additional information is at the Implementation Guidance page.
- Project Enable Syracuse University project to provide high quality, comprehensive, train-the-trainer continuing education...for New York's school librarians to...deliver effective service to students with disabilities.
- Project Tomorrow Project Tomorrow is a national education nonprofit group. The vision of Project Tomorrow is ensure that today's students are well prepared to be tomorrow's innovators, leaders and engaged citizens of the world....Activities include national research projects such as Speak Up.(Survey includes information on school libraries/librarians).
- School Librarian Evaluation Workbook (AASL 21st-Century Approach) The workbook must be purchased, but the site has an archived webinar reviewing the evaluation program.
- School Libraries & Student Achievement Infographic A great infographic by Library Research Services that brings together the data from a range of school library studies.
- School Libraries Count! National Longitudinal Study of School Library Media Programs Studies done by the American Association of School Libraries.
- School Library Monthly Blog
- School Library Research Summarized A 2013 summary of school library research studies published by the School Library & Information Technologies Department, Mansfield University, Mansfield, PA
- School Libraries Work! 2016 Edition
A compendium of research supporting the effectiveness of school libraries from Scholastic
- The South Carolina Impact Study
The Impact of School Librarians and Library Programs on Academic Achievement of Students: The South Carolina Study from the South Carolina Association of School Librarians, 2015.
- Survive and Thrive! An Advocacy toolkit from the Colorado Association of School Librarians
Information on becoming a teacher, includes both information on Michigan and on School Librarians
- TRAILS: Tool for Real-time Assessment for Information Literacy Skills A project from the Kent State University Libraries to assess information literacy skills based on 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th grade standards.
- WLMA Video - Teacher Librarians at the Heart of Student Learning Washington Library Media Association video that highlights the essential role of teacher librarians in student learning.
- YALSA's Competencies for Librarians Serving Youth Young Adult Library Services Association professional competencies.
- YALSA's National Teen Space Guidelines Young Adult Library Services Association library space usage guidelines