Continuing Education: Michigan.gov/libraryce
- WebJunction Self-Paced Courses and Webinars
WebJunction provides online training on a variety of library-related topics. Certificates of completion of provided with self-paced courses and webinar archives are available.
- Library of Michigan Webinar Archives
We've archived webinars provided by Library of Michigan staff on topics such as summer reading, preservation, technology and the Plinkit program. These are available to you 24/7 for your convenience. Check back often for updates.
- Beginning Workshop - May 18-20, 2016
An annual 3-day event held each spring for library staff without a Master's degree in Library Science. Beginning Workshop is a requirement to obtain Level 3 or Level 4 Library of Michigan certification.
- New Director Workshop - September 15, 2016
This is an annual one day event that provides a wide range of information for new public library directors. Attendance at these workshops is necessary for director certification as part of the qualification criteria for state aid to public libraries.
- Advanced Director Workshop - September 16, 2016
This is a one-day event that will provide in-depth information on specific topics for new and experienced directors. Attendance at the workshops is necessary for director certification as part of the qualification criteria for state aid to public libraries. Current standards for state aid for public libraries require Classes 4 - 6 directors to complete the Advanced Directors Workshop within 2 years of initial appointment.
- 2016 Loleta Fyan Small and Rural Libraries Conference
The Library of Michigan Foundation generously supports the Loleta Fyan Small and Rural Libraries Conference through administration of Loleta Fyan funds.
- Library Continuing Education Program
The Library of Michigan strives to support libraries’ efforts to provide quality service and programming to their communities. A major element of excellent service is empowering library staff to learn and implement new skills and best practices. The Library Continuing Education program helps by providing financial support for library staff continuing education.
- Public Library Director 101 Series
Provides an introduction to the many and unique facets of public library directorship. This series of four on-demand recordings provides a broad overview that both informs and inspires.
- eLearning Soft Skills 14 eLearning modules on lifelong soft skills providing basic and foundational skills for the workplace to help workers succeed in the 21st century
- Arizona State Library - Collection Development Training Collection Development Training (CDT) provides practical training in how to perform collection development activities in public libraries.
- Colorado State Library - Library Creation and Learning Centers Tech Training materials for library staff and patrons.
- DigitalLiteracy.Gov Online digital literacy materials for staff and patrons.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries - Able Program The Alternative Basic Library Education (ABLE) Program is designed to help library staff members who have no formal education in library science to acquire the basic knowledge and skills needed to operate or work in a library through general classes.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries - Sable Program The Supplemental Alternative Basic Library Education (SABLE) Program is designed to help library staff members who have no formal education in library science to acquire the basic knowledge and skills needed to operate or work in a library through more specific classes.
- Indiana University School of Information and Library Science
Shaping Outcomes course from the Indiana University library school. It is an instructor moderated outcome-based evaluation course. The course is tuition based and runs every four to six weeks.
- UW-Madison School of Library & Information Studies - Online Continuing Education Courses Each academic term, the UW-Madison SLIS is offering a selection of moderated online courses for a fee on library continuing education topics.
- Lakeland Library Cooperative
- Michigan Association for Media in Education
- Michigan eLibrary (MeL) Training
- Michigan Library Association
- Midwest Collaborative for Library Services
- Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative
- Mid-Michigan Library League
- Northland Library Cooperative
- Suburban Library Cooperative
- Superiorland Library Cooperative
- The Library Network
- White Pine Library Cooperative
- Woodlands Library Cooperative
- ALA Directory of Accredited LIS Master's Programs
- ALA Library Support Staff Resource Center
- American Library Association - Events and Conferences
- American Library Association Continuing Education Information
- Public Library Association Continuing Education Information
- Special Library Association Calendar of Events
The Continuing Education Unit (CEU), is a standard unit of measure for quantifying continuing adult education and training activities. The CEU is in the public domain and may be offered by any organization. One CEU equals 10 contact hours of participation in an organized education/training experience under responsible, qualified direction and instruction. The Library of Michigan awards CEUs in 1 hour increments (.1 CEU). The Library of Michigan awards CEUs to sponsoring organizations for educational activities and may pre-approve CEUs for individuals involved in non-CEU granting educational activities.
- Statewide Library CEU Program Application Form & Procedures Revised 2016
Application for library CEUs for organizations sponsoring educational activities for library staff.
- Statewide Library CEU & SCECH Program Attendance Sheet Rev. 12/2012