Trustee Information: Michigan.gov/librarytrustee
The Library of Michigan is pleased to furnish public library trustees with resources to help support them in their work. While articles for trustees are intended to be as accurate as possible, the information here may be superseded. Please contact your attorney with specific legal questions.
For additional resources available to the Michigan library community, including Trustees, Friends and staff, please visit the United for Libraries Michigan membership web site.
- United for Libraries - Michigan Statewide Membership
The Library of Michigan provides a statewide membership in United for Libraries, a division of the American Library Association. Please contact Statewide Services for information on how to access the resource. Online training, webinars, toolkits and other support resources are available through the membership.
This project is supported in part by the Library of Michigan with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Trustee Toolkit: Hiring a New Library Director
The Trustee Toolkit: Hiring a Library Director, developed by COSLA, is intended for use by library board members or trustees when faced with the important task of hiring a new leader to run their library. The kit contains sample timelines, job ads, interview questions, offer letters, job descriptions and more.
- Friends of Michigan Libraries Trustee Alliance
Statewide organization providing training and support to public library trustees.
- Resources and sample forms from the Georgia Public Library Service and Douglas County Libraries in Colorado.
- Changes to District Library Establishment Act in 2015
- A Few Words About Public Libraries and MPAA Ratings
- Common Misperceptions Pertaining to the Michigan Library Privacy Act
- Library Service Contracts
- Posting of FOIA Policies and Guidelines Under the 2014 Michigan Freedom of Information Act Amendments
- Charging Fees to Access the Internet at Public Libraries
- A sex offender is in the library, what should we do?
- Surveillance Tapes and the Michigan Library Privacy Act
- Bulletin Boards and Library Spaces
- 9/11 and Patron Privacy in the Public Library
- The Aftermath of the CIPA Ruling
- Amended Library Privacy Act Addresses Internet Access
- Amendment to District Library Establishment Act
- Bylaws for Public Library Boards
- CIPA Is Revived by the United States Supreme Court
- District Library Law Amendments
- Focus on Establishment Issues
- Four Tests for A Legally-Enforceable Library Policy
- Freedom of Information Act Amendment
- Friends of the Library-Part I: Incorporation
- Friends of the Library-Part II: Fundraising
- The Internet Policy Challenge
- Legislative Update
- Library Privacy Act Issues
- Materials Selection Policies: Eight Elements
- Michigan Public Libraries Retention and Disposal Schedule
- The Open Meetings Act
- Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act
- Planning Process A Necessity for Libraries
- Primer on Library Policies
- Public Library Trustee Election Amendments
- Review of Gift Policies
- The USA Patriot Act and Library Privacy
- Michigan public library millage election results
A listing of Public Library Millage Election Results from 2010 to November 2016.
Community foundations can help libraries by creating independent funding resources. Read more about how your library can create a foundation below.
- About Community Foundations From the Michigan Community Foundation
- Tools for Giving: Charitable Funds Great giving options from the Community Foundation of the Holland Zeeland Area.
- Tools for Giving: Charitable Instruments A variety of giving methods from the Community Foundation of the Holland Zeeland Area
- A Personal Legacy of Giving: Endowment Information about endowments from the Community Foundation of the Holland Zeeland Area
- Endowing Your Nonprofit Organization Endowing your nonprofit organization from the Community Foundation of the Holland Zeeland Area
- Public Library; Gifts and Donations (Excerpt) Act 136 of 1921 of Michigan Compiled Laws