Public libraries, as well as academic and school libraries, provide value, support and stability to their communities. Below please find calculators for return on investment and inflation's impact on your funding as well as impact and value studies and reports from national, state and local groups. These materials may help you define the financial support and community development you bring to your community.
- Worth Their Weight: An Assessment of the Evolving Field of Library Valuation A report from the American Library Association about how to examine the role of libraries in communities to demonstrate the value libraries provide.
- Return on Investment for Public Libraries Library Research Service compilation of individual library reports, related calculators and articles.
- Libraries Matter: Impact Research American Library Association compilation of reports in three major areas: the economic impact, the educational literacy impact, and the social impact. There are a wide variety of studies and reports in each area (age and/or needs of users and economic and/or community development issues).
- Library Individualized Return on Investment Calculator A calculator from the Library of Michigan that allows a patron to select the resources they typically use at their library to see the full value of their library services.
- Library Inflation Calculator A calculator from the State Library of North Carolina that shows the impact of inflation on library funding. Select a historic year and input a historic $ value (could be state aid, local revenue, any money related to running a library) and then input current day $ to show the percentage decline in value of the current funding. Updated annually.