Law Library:

  • Library of Michigan Law Library

    The State Law Library is located in the Michigan Library and Historical Center at
    702 W. Kalamazoo, Lansing, Michigan.


    The State Law Library is open from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M., Monday through Friday. Reference librarians are available to help researchers use our collection of print and electronic resources covering state and federal law. We can also assist you by phone or email in navigating state websites or by suggesting resources to help locate legal or legislative information. We do not perform research for the general public, however, as our primary function is to provide research support to state government employees working in their official capacities.

    Please bear in mind that our librarians cannot provide legal assistance, interpret or explain laws, or speak on behalf of another government agency. We are neither a legal clinic nor a legal hotline. Those seeking legal help should contact a private attorney or legal assistance organization - for more information, see the Michigan eLibrary (MeL) Legal Gateway.

Law Directory

  • Directory of Michigan Law Libraries

    Libraries in the Upper Peninsula Libraries, Northern Part Of The Lower Peninsula, Southeastern Part Of The Lower Peninsula, South Central Part Of The Lower Peninsula, Southwestern Part Of The Lower Peninsula

  • MeL Legal Gateway An excellent starting point for legal research! Access local, state and federal laws and regulations. Find information about common legal concerns such as bankruptcy, foreclosure, and landlord/tenant issues. Discover where to get legal aid and aids for deciphering "legalese" including legal self-help guides.
  • Michigan Legal Help

    The Michigan Legal Help website was created to help people who have to handle simple civil legal problems without a lawyer. There are articles you can read to learn about a specific area of the law and toolkits to help you prepare to represent yourself in court. It is not a substitute for having a lawyer. If you need more help, you can search the website for a lawyer or community services in your area.