Michigan Center for the Book: michigan.gov/mcfb
Center for the Book $1,000 Literacy Award
- Who: The Michigan Center for the Book would like to award a childhood literacy award to one organization for their work with elementary age children. The award is open to a Michigan Public Library or Friends Group of a Michigan Public Library.
- What: The award will be a $1,000 dollar cash prize.
- When: Selection will be in late December by the Michigan Center for the Book board members for 2016. Nominations are due by December 16, 2016
- Where: In 2016 the award will be announced in late December. The award will be granted via mail with at a celebration to be determined with the recipient.
- How: Nominations may be submitted by any individual or organization. A brief essay of no more than 750 words, with up to 3 photos, should be submitted via email to care of Janice Murphy at the Library of Michigan at:
email@example.com, subject line Literacy Award Nomination attn:jm
Postal submissions may be sent to:
Michigan Center for the Book Literacy Award
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48909
Attn: Janice Murphy
Keep the short nomination cycle in mind if submitting by mail!
- What is the Center for the Book?
The Michigan Center for the Book is the Michigan affiliate of the National Center for the Book at the Library of Congress. The Center draws from the Library of Michigan and its affiliate institutions to encourage and produce local and statewide programs and resources that promote the culture of books.
- Author Visits - How To & Collaboration
- Michigan Book Lists
- Michigan Book World
- One Book Archive
- Letters About Literature
- Michigan Authors & Illustrators database
Why do affiliates join the Center for the Book? To invest in local and statewide library services. See what our affiliates think about membership in the Why Should My Library Join piece. See How is the Center for the Book organized? for an application, annual reports, meeting minutes, etc. or contact Edwina Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 373-4376 for more information or visit their website,
Our mission is to promote an awareness of books, reading, literacy, authors and Michigan's rich literary heritage.
As the Michigan affiliate of the National Center for the Book, the Center also seeks to further in Michigan the National Center's goal of promoting books, reading, libraries and literacy.
- How is the Center for the Book organized?
The Library of Michigan and the Center affiliates sponsor the Center for the Book. The Library of Michigan provides administrative support for the Center. Affiliates provide programming for the Center. For a list of affiliates, Board meeting minutes and Center annual reports, please click on More.