City of Lansing ~ Police Officer Recruit (Sponsorship)
Opening Date: March 9, 2017
Closing Date: Open until filled
Police Officer Recruit is for non-licensed applicants. Candidates who are hired will be sent to the 17-week Mid-Michigan Police Academy, a law enforcement training academy, located at Lansing Community College. Upon successful completion of this academy, the Recruit will be promoted to entry-level police officer and must also successfully complete the Lansing Police Department's field training officer program.
The Police Officer Recruit is a safety-sensitive, community based position that is involved with the complex and specialized activities required to maintain civil order and enforce laws and ordinances. Police Officers are responsible for the protection of life and property, detection and prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals, and enforcement of laws and ordinances in a designated specialized area or on an assigned shift.
- Must be 21 years of age at the time of graduation from the academy
- HS Diploma/GED AND at least thirty-seven (37) semester college/university
- credits; candidates with college/university credits must be eligible for an associate degree after completing the academy. Associate Degree Preferred.
- A minimum of one (1) year or more equivalent life experience such as: employment, internship, coaching, volunteerism, and/or etc.
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable, comprehensive, and extensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity
- Honorably discharged USA Armed Forces Veteran (copy of DD-214 must be included in application packet), if apply
- Available to work nights, weekends, holidays, and on an overtime basis
- Legally able to work in the United States
- Possess a valid Michigan Driver's License at time of employment with a satisfactory driving record
- No pending or past felony convictions
- Ability to pass a criminal history record check
- Meet physical standards as determined by the City's Medical Doctor
Visit www.lansingmi.gov/jobs for more information and application instructions. Accepting applications until positions are filled.