Lake Odessa Police Department ~ Part-Time Police Officer
Opening Date: 07/19/2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
MCOLES licensed, fully empowered, sworn officer responsible for enforcement of local ordinances and state laws and otherwise participates in a full range of police programs and activities to promote positive community relations, protect the lives and property of the public and preserve peace in the Village.
Reports to: Sergeant
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
An employee in this position is required to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. These examples are not an exhaustive list of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform.
- Enforces local ordinances and state laws.
- Patrols the Village and maintains visible police presence to identify potential problems, proactively prevent crime and promote positive community relations.
- Completes business checks, vacation checks and other special patrols.
- Responds to calls for assistance, complaint calls and other dispatched calls.
- Prepares police reports and completes related follow-up activities.
- Pursues suspects, takes suspects into custody, makes arrests. Transports detainees.
- Secures crime scenes, conducts investigations, interviews victims, interrogates suspects, gathers evidence and prepares case files.
- Enforces traffic laws, makes traffic stops and issues warnings and citations.
- Prepares for court and provides testimony.
- Inspects and maintains police vehicle and equipment.
- Depending upon assignment, may assume responsibility for any of the following: Firearms Instruction, Field Training Officer, Use of Force Training, Terminal Agency Control (TAC), O.C. Instruction, Vehicle Inspections, Property Room, Community Policing Police Officer.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with courts, prosecutor's office, and other area agencies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum qualifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Requirements include the following:
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- Successful completion of the police academy and MCOLES licensure.
- Additional coursework in criminal justice and/or experience in law enforcement or a related field is preferred.
- A valid State of Michigan Driver’s License, a satisfactory driving record, and the ability to maintain one throughout employment.
- Ability to successfully complete additional training, obtain and maintain required certifications.
- Knowledge of the procedures, methods and techniques associated with law enforcement.
- Skill in handling victims with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Skill in the use of assigned police vehicles, equipment, apparatus and other implements, including mobile data terminals, office equipment and personal computers.
- Ability to prepare clear and complete reports and perform other administrative duties with accuracy.
- Ability to work constructively and interact professionally with others.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job. An employee in this position spends most of their time in a patrol car and is regularly required to be at crime scenes and other dangerous settings that may involve active pursuit, hazardous conditions including the discharge of firearms and other dangers associated with pursuing and apprehending criminals. An employee in this position must have the strength, stamina and physical coordination needed to pursue, restrain and apprehend dangerous criminals, and the sensory capabilities to conduct investigations. An employee in this position also spends some of their time in an office setting with a controlled climate where they sit and work on a computer and communicate by telephone or in person.