Decatur Police Department ~ Full Time Police Officer
Opening Date: 07/26/2017
Closing Date: When Filled
The Village of Decatur is a small town of 1800 residents in southern Van Buren County in southwest Michigan. It is a self-sustained community with a handful of large diverse employers. It is a popular tourist destination in the summer months, with its beautiful Lake of the Woods. The proud residents of Decatur love the small town patriotic environment that surrounds the village.
The Village of Decatur is currently seeking a full-time Police Officer and a part-time Police Officer. The Decatur Police Department is a 24/7 operation. We have recently hired a new Police Chief to set the direction for the DPD. Decatur is an active community, and appreciates the police work done within the Village limits. Village Council has made a priority with its focus on purchasing the best available equipment and assuring that our officers are properly trained to do their jobs.
The ideal candidate:
- Will be able to thrive and contribute in a team-based structure
- Will be a great communicator. Like almost all small towns, community policing is a vital part of the department's day to day operations. That starts with communication.
- Will have enthusiam to take on many different roles in the Decatur Police Department
Qualifications / Requirements:
- MCOLES Licensed / Licensable
- Must possess a valid Michigan Drivers License, be a US Citizen, and at least 21 years of age
- Must successfully pass the hiring process including a complete background investigation
- Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical, and psychological examination, where applicable
- Must possess a High School Diploma / GED
- Associates / Bachelor's Degree preferred
Wages and Benefits:
- Starting wage of $18.50 per hour or $38,480 per year for the first year, up to $42,453 by the third year Healthcare package including Medical, Dental, and Vision via 83% from employer and 17% employee split 457 Defined Contribution Retirement Fund with employer 4.5% match
- 1 week paid vacation. This increases with tenure.
- Part-Time Wages are: $16.00 per hour
How to Apply / Contact:
- For a complete job description and application please go to our website: www.decaturmi.org
- Applications will be accepted on-line only.
Please email any questions to Chief VanDerWoude at email@example.com