Port Huron Police Department ~ Full Time Police Officer
Opening Date: 08-17-17
Closing Date: Opened to filled
CONTACT PERSON: City of Port Huron Human Resources
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: POLICE OFFICER
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
To perform responsible law enforcement which includes but not limited to the enforcement of laws and ordinances, prevention, detection and investigations of crime and delinquency. The apprehension of violators, the recovery of property, preservation of order and related police functions.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Some knowledge of applicable federal, state, local laws, codes and ordinances.
- Basic knowledge of modern law enforcement practices, principles and techniques.
- Basic understanding of the relationship and interaction between the law, department rules, regulations, policies and procedures within the framework of collective bargaining agreements and applicable labor law standards.
- Political sensitivity to the department’s role in government and society as a whole.
- Basic knowledge of police skills to properly manage the affairs and responsibilities of the classification.
- The ability to display and exercise a positive and cooperative demeanor towards citizens, fellow employees and other representatives of the criminal justice system, as well as to the policies of the department and the City of Port Huron.
- Adaptability to change and progress.
- Loyal and faithful to the mission and ethical ideals of the department.
- Ability to research problems and to verbally present or write clear, concise, understandable, grammatically correct reports.
- Basic ability to handle crisis situations as they arise.
- Ability to make quick, effective and rational decisions based on aptitude to quickly assimilate information and analyze situations.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school graduation or GED equivalent and an Associate’s Degree is preferred.
- Completion of state accredited or in-house training academy or pre-service employment qualification from MCOLES is required.
- Considerable training in self-defense, crowd control, radar usage, precision driving, legal updates, first aid and other law enforcement training is preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- A United States citizen.
- No felony convictions.
- Must be able to obtain a valid Michigan operator’s license with an excellent driving record.
- Must be MCOLES certified or certifiable.
- Must be able to successfully complete an extensive oral interview(s), as well as, a pre-employment physical, drug screen, hearing test and psychological evaluation.
SALARY RANGE: $38,439 - $59,137 annually; Candidates with prior policing experience may qualify to start at a salary higher than entry level.
BENEFIT PACKAGE, INCLUDING:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Pension program
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan
- Cover letter
- Copy of MCOLES certification of eligibility
Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from http://www.porthuron.org/.
Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **