City of Flint ~ Police Officer Recruit
Opening Date: 08/28/2017
Closing Date: 10/2/2017 until 11:59 PM (Revised Date)
Police Officer Recruit
Level 15 Exempt
SALARY: 1ST 6 Months
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Police Officer Recruit will undergo a structured progressive basic police training program in fulfillment of the State's and Department's minimum standards required to become a sworn Police Officer. The Recruit will have to successfully complete a 16-18 week course of study at the Police Training Academy maintaining an average of at least 70%. Upon successful completion of academy training, the Recruit will be required to pass a written examination administered by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). Upon successful completion of the written examination, the Recruit may be eligible to be assigned to complete an on-the-job field-training program while accompanying a sworn Police Officer. Individuals who are not able for any reason to complete the training, or are not able to maintain the State or Department's minimum requirements for successful completion of the 16-18 week training course shall be deemed to have voluntarily terminated their position.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to operate an automobile safely and in accordance with traffic laws.
- Ability to understand and adhere to the laws and rules of the Department.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare written reports.
- Ability to deal courteously and firmly with the general public.
- Ability to qualify on physical strength and agility test.
- Ability to meet the mental standards of the job.
- Ability and willingness to work in a manner that will not needlessly endanger the safety to one's self, other persons, and equipment.
- Aptitude for, or skill in, the use of firearms.
- Vision must be 20/50 in each eye correctable to 20/20 in each eye (contact lenses may be used to meet the 20/50 requirement) and have full visual functions and normal color vision and depth perception.
- Hearing must be normal in each ear.
- Have no prior felony convictions or high court misdemeanors.
- Possession of a good moral character as determined by a background investigation under procedures established by the City of Flint Police Department.
- Ability to successfully pass drug screening, physical and psychological evaluations.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT(S):
- Eighteen (18) years of age
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License (a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License will be required at time of appointment).
- Passing score on MCOLES Reading/Writing Test - For more information on obtaining this, please visit: http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229--147712--,00.html
- Passing score on MCOLES Physical Agility Examination (physical agility only valid for six (6) months – Passing of MCOLES physical agility must be dated within six (6) months/180 days between date of examination and the beginning of Academy) For more information on obtaining this, please visit: http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229--147713--,00.html
- After completion of the Academy as a condition of continued employment, the employee must successfully pass a licensing examination administered by the State. A candidate who fails their initial attempt at the licensing exam is allowed one retest. The candidate must apply for and successfully past the re-test within 30 days of receiving his or her results from the first test. Failure to successfully pass the MCOLES Licensing exam or the Academy will result in the termination of employment from the City of Flint.
Applications will be accepted until MONDAY, October 2, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.. Applications must be completed on the City of Flint’s website: www.cityofflint.com. No paper applications and/or resumes will be accepted in the Human Resources Department. Any questions about the application process, please call 810-766-7280. Please do not call about the status of your application.
DATE POSTED: 08/24/2017