Skip Navigation
Department of Agriculture and Rural Home
close print view

Food Establishment Licensing Step-by-Step Guide

  1. Determine which agency licenses the food establishment here.  If the food establishment in question falls directly under Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) jurisdiction, continue  with the rest of these steps.

  2. Before construction on the food establishment begins (when applicable) make sure to check local zoning ordinances to ensure local regulations allow for such an establishment.

  3. Acquaint yourself with the 

    In addition, one or more of the following regulations may be applicable to your specific establishment plan:

  4. Contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development to set up a free plan review by mail or phone as shown below.

  5. Fill out a Plan Review Worksheet and Plan Review Application.  Be sure to review the plan submission instructions and manual.

  6. Once plans have been reviewed and approved, and construction is complete, contact MDARD & Rural Development by mail or phone as shown below, to set up a final inspection.  At this point you should also fill out the
    Food Establishment Licensing Application.

For questions or further information mail or phone:

Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Food and Dairy Division
PO Box 30017
Lansing, MI  48909

Related Content
 •  List of Food License Exemptions - Does your business qualify?
 •  Food Establishment Licensing Details & FAQ
 •  Michigan Food Establishment License Application
 •  Food Establishment Licensing Guide: Determine which agency to contact
 •  Do I Need a Plan Review?
 •  New License Expiration Dates
 •  Licensed Under Other Acts
 •  License Type Guide with Fees
 •  Other Considerations
 •  Other Agencies
 •  Temporary Food Establishment Operations Checklist
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan