Interdepartmental Collaboration Committee (ICC) Food Policy Subcommittee
What is a Food Policy Council?
Food policy councils, often established by state or local governments, bring together a broad array of food-related public and private stakeholders to investigate every stage of the food process from seed to table. Consumers, producers, and public officials are becoming more aware of the economic and health impacts of supporting fresh and local foods resulting in greater attention to many food-related issues. Food policy councils are tapping into this increasing interest to explore policy options that improve the food system.
Food Policy Committee Focus Areas (high to low priority effective 6/22/14)
Note * denotes 2013 Michigan Food Policy Council recommendation to the Governor.
(Numbers in below section correlate to the numbers in the Current Activities 11/10/14 update section)
1. *The Michigan Good Food Fund (MGFF), formerly known as the Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI) and related VOICE effort.
2. *Help small scale farms achieve food safety certification to increase sales to retail food industry, institutional buyers and customers.
3. *Build capacity of Michigan's farmers market sector to increase access to healthy foods.
4. Expansion of Double Up Food Bucks through the Farm Bill.
5. SNAP implementation/WIC access (increase inventory requirements and zip code limitations)
6. Local food council updates.
7. Small meat processor growth.
8. SNAP access barriers.
Current Activities, Updated January 2017
- Priority List Updates Barriers of SNAP use at Farmers Market- Sydney and Amanda from MIFMA provided an update
- Michigan Good Food Fund (MGFF)
- WIC Access
- Small and Mid-Size Farm Food Safety Certification
- Mi Local Food Policy Councils – Good Food Charter
- Small Meat Processor Growth
- Double-Up Food Bucks Expansion through Farm Bill
- Small Meat Processor Growth
- Urban Ag
Who makes up the ICC?
ICC Food Policy subcommittee members:
- Michigan Department of Education – Marla Moss
- Michigan Department of Human Services – Dawn Sweeney
- Michigan Department of Community Health – Gwen Imes
- Association of Food & Petroleum Dealers – Auday Arabo
- MSU Center for Regional Food Systems – Rich Pirog
- Michigan Food Bank Council - Dr. Phillip Knight
- Good Food Charter Steering Committee – Kathryn Colasanti
- Michigan Food & Farming Systems – Michelle Napier-Dunnings
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development - Jeanne Hausler
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development - Lori Yelton
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development - Kevin Besey
** Tentative 2017 Meeting Dates **
October 24, 2017
Time: 9:30am - 11:30am
Location: Constitution Hall, 525 W. Allegan St.
Lansing MI 48933
6th Floor - North Tower - Richard Van Deusen Conference Room
Agenda: Coming Soon!
Previous Meeting Minutes:
The Public is welcome to attend in person or call in; Please contact Lori Yelton at YeltonL@Michigan.gov if you are planning to attend since seating is limited.
Call in option: 877-873-8018, Pin: 3298940
- TRIBAL MI HFFI and VFHK Presentation
- Local Food Policy Council Guide
- Michigan Good Food Charter
- MI Good Food Charter Newsletter
- MFPC Full Report
- Summary: 2013 Policy Recommendations by the Michigan Food Policy Council
For Questions, Michigan Food Policy Contact:
Phone: (517) 420-3249