State Dept. of Agriculture and Rural Development Issues Consumer Advisory for all Motor Oil Sold by Bullseye Automotive Lubricants, Inc. under the Bullseye Brand

Contact: Jennifer Holton 517-284-5724
Agency: Agriculture and Rural Development

October 7, 2013

Lansing - Today, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) issued Stop-Use and Stop-Removal Orders for motor oil manufactured, packaged, and/or distributed by Bullseye Automotive Lubricants, Inc. of Illinois under the Bullseye brand after finding the products did not comply with  the Michigan Weights and Measures Act, 1964 Public Act 283.

The Stop-Use and Stop-Removal Orders prohibit the sale, offering for sale, or use of motor oils manufactured, packaged, and/or distributed by Bullseye Automotive Lubricants, Inc. under the Bullseye brand. These products should no longer be used, immediately be removed from store shelves or other product displays, and no longer be offered for sale. These products may cause damage to vehicle engines.

As part of a 12 month investigation, MDARD discovered that the motor oil being sold by this company does not contain the amount of product claimed. Additionally, the motor oil does not meet the viscosity labeled on the containers. For example, a container may say the product is an "SAE 5W30" motor oil, but does not meet that viscosity or other specifications for a motor oil.

“This company is selling sub-standard product and the Stop-Use and Stop-Removal Orders ensure Michigan consumers and business alike are getting what they pay for and protecting their vehicles,” said Jamie Clover Adams, MDARD Director. “When products don’t meet viscosity levels it can cause lasting damage to vehicles. So, it’s vital that consumers and business stop using or selling these products immediately.”

The Stop-Use and Stop-Removal orders mean no Bullseye brand motor oil may be sold or used in the State of Michigan. The products may be properly disposed of in accordance with local ordinances, taken to a facility that recycles oil, or consumers may contact the company directly. Information regarding the proper disposal of these products can be found at

The Bullseye products were primarily sold at small independent gas stations, discount and party stores. It is possible they were also sold in some oil change facilities across the state. Consumers can visit  and look under the “Hot News” section for photos of the product labels as well as information on what to look for when buying motor oil.

Complaints can be made to either:

Michigan Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax: 517-241-3771
Toll free: 877-765-8388 (click on "File A Complaint")

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Consumer Protection Section
940 Venture Lane
Williamston, MI 48895
Toll-free: 800-632-3835
Fax: 517-655-8303

Fan us!
Follow us on Twitter @MichDeptofAg
Watch us!