Agricultural Seed - Labeling Requirements
Agricultural Seed and Mixtures of Agricultural Seed
Agricultural seed means the seed of grass, forage, cereal, fiber, and oil plants, and any other seed commonly recognized in the state as agricultural or field seed, lawn seed or mixtures of those seeds.
Each container of agricultural seed offered for sale for planting purposes must have attached to the container in a visible place a label or tag with the following information. (Note: If the seed is distributed in bulk, the required information must accompany delivery, and must be provided to the purchaser at the time of delivery.)
- The commonly accepted name of the kind or kind and variety of each agricultural seed component in excess of 5% by weight of the whole, including the percentage by weight of each seed component in the order of its predominance.
- If any seed component is a hybrid, the label must have the name of the hybrid and the word "hybrid" in connection with the kind of agricultural seed component.
- If the seed is a blend, the word "blend" must appear on the label in connection with name of the kind of agricultural seed.
- If the seed is a mixture, the word "mixture" or "mix" must be stated clearly on the label.
- The lot number or identifying mark.
- The percentage by weight of all weed seed present.
- The percentage of germination exclusive of dormant or hard seed, the percentage of dormant or hard seed if present, and the calendar month and year that these percentages were determined by test.
- For alfalfa, red clover, and white clover, the state or foreign country where originally grown. If the origin is unknown, that fact should be stated.
- The name and the number per pound, if present, of each kind of restricted noxious weed seed, except buckhorn and yellow rocket, which must be shown on the label only when in excess of 90 seeds per pound.
- The name and complete address of the person who labels the seed, or sells the seed within the state of Michigan.
- Percentage by weight of crop seed other than those required to be named on the label. This figure must be shown under the heading "crop" or "other crop."
- The percentage by weight of inert matter. Any coating material must be included as inert matter, and a statement of percentage of the coating material may be shown immediately following inert matter.
Additional Label Requirements For Field Bean Seed
- In the case of field bean seeds, a statement on the label that indicates the state or foreign country of origin.
- In the case of field bean seeds, a statement indicating that the lot has been field inspected and laboratory tested, and meets the disease tolerances established by the director.
- Field bean seed produced east of a line dividing the central and mountain time zones, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, including seed offered for sale by its producer, must be field inspected and laboratory tested for seed born diseases including, but not limited to, common blight (Xanthomonas phaseoli), fuscus blight (Xanthomonas phaseoli var. fuscans), halo blight (Pseudomonas phaseolicola), and anthracnose (Colletotrichum lindemuthianum), which have been determined by the director to be a threat to the bean industry. The department may inspect and test seed from other sources as necessary to determine the presence of or freedom from seed born diseases.
Additional Label Requirements For Agricultural Seed That Has Been Treated
Seed that has been treated with an irritating or poisonous substance, harmful to humans or other vertebrate animals must be colored or dyed with a color contrasting with the natural color of the seed. The following information must appear on the label:
- A warning statement in 12-point or larger type that the seed has been treated.
- The common coined, chemical, or abbreviated chemical name of the substance applied to the seed.
- A caution statement in 12-point type as follows: "Treated seed-do not use for food, feed, or oil purposes."
Furthermore, if the seed has been treated, and the treatment is not irritating, poisonous, or harmful to humans or other vertebrate animals, the seed must be labeled with a statement, in 12-point or larger type, describing the applied substance.
Additional Label Requirements for Agricultural Seed that Contains a Percentage of Hybrid Seed
In addition to the standard label requirements, when AGRICULTURAL seed consists of less than 95 % hybrid seed, the percent that is hybrid must be labeled parenthetically in direct association following the named variety, for example COMET (85% hybrid). Varieties that consist of less than 75% hybrid seed must not be labeled as hybrids.