File a Complaint header

File a complaint online here or call 800-482-3604.

If you believe someone has discriminated against you in any of the areas protected by law, contact us. You can reach us by phone, in person, by US mail or by email. Be sure to include your name, address and a phone number where you can be reached during the day. A civil rights representative will answer your questions and advise you on filing a complaint or offer you other alternatives, as appropriate.

To File A Complaint

If you want to file a complaint, a civil rights representative will conduct an interview to decide whether your situation meets the jurisdictional requirements defined by law. Please have the following information available:

  • Name and address of the employer, school, agency or public place or service about which you want to complain. Information about the total number of employees the employer has and the type of work done.
  • Dates of any incidents that took place in the last 180 days that you want to include in your complaint.
  • Names of any persons who discriminated against you, if known. Describe them if you do not know their names.
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to incidents you want to complain about. If you do not know the names or contact information of witnesses, provide the best information you have. 
  • Copies of work policies which you feel were unequally applied.
  • Copies of memos or disciplinary actions you want to complain about.
  • Information about other actions you have taken about the cited incidents.
  • Names of people, if you know of any, who did the same thing you did and were not treated the way you were. Be prepared to describe their circumstances including approximate dates, persons who treated these people differently from you, and names of persons who could verify the circumstances.
  • Name and contact information for your union representative, if applicable. Name and address of union local, if applicable.
  • Status of any grievance(s) you have filed.

If it is determined that your situation falls within the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, the civil rights representative will, with your help, draft a complaint. You will be asked to sign the complaint, and swear or affirm before a Notary Public that the statement in the complaint is true to the best of your knowledge or belief. You will receive a copy of the complaint and a letter explaining the next steps, and advising you of your rights under  Elliott-Larsen and/or the Persons With Disabilities Civil Rights Act, and your responsibility to keep MDCR informed of your whereabouts and current on matters about your complaint.

A Complaint Is Not A Lawsuit

MDCR is an administrative agency representing the interest of the state. A complaint is not a lawsuit for the claimant, nor are lawyers provided during the filing or investigative process.

If You Have Questions

Contact us:

Phone: 313-456-3700
Fax: 313-456-3701
Toll-Free: 800-482-3604
TTY: 877-878-8464