The Top-to-Bottom School Rankings are a part of Michigan's current school accountability system which ranks schools on student performance in mathematics, English language arts, science, and social studies. Graduation rate data is also used for high schools. Each school receives an Overall Ranking based on the performance components of student achievement and student improvement. Additionally, each school receives an Achievement Gap Ranking based solely on the achievement gaps between the highest and lowest scoring 30 percent of students within the school.
The Overall and Achievement Gap rankings provide valuable information on the performance of Michigan’s public schools and identifies areas of both strength and challenge. It is also used to recognize the top 5% of schools in the Overall Ranking and the top 5% of schools with the highest improvement values as Reward Schools. Schools that outperform their expected ranking or outperform other similarly-situated schools, by "Beating the Odds" are also considered Reward Schools.
All schools are included in the rankings if they have two years of assessment data for 30 or more full academic year students in two or more tested subjects. These measurements were developed in conjunction with a diverse set of education stakeholders as part of Michigan's approved federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) flexibility waiver.
Jump to Page:
For support with the Top-to-Bottom School Rankings, please contact 877-560-8378 or MDE-Accountability@michigan.gov.
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 Beating the Odds Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 Achievement Gap Individual School Lookup Tool
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Ranking List For Print and Publication
- 2013-14 District and School Accountability Master Results File
- 2013-14 School Ranking Business Rules
- 2013-14 Beating the Odds Business Rules
- 2012-13 District and School Accountability Master Results File
- 2013-14 Top-to-Bottom Data Needed for Replication of Rankings
- 2011-12 District and School Accountability Master Results File