School Health Services"The school nurse serves in a pivotal role to provide expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and promotion of health education. Using clinical knowledge and judgment, the school nurse provides health care to students and staff, performs health screenings and coordinates referrals to the medical home or private healthcare provider. The school nurse serves as a liaison between school personnel, family, community and healthcare providers to advocate for health care and a healthy school environment (National Association of School Nurses / American Nurses Association [NASN / ANA], 2011)."
State School Nurse Consultant
Linda Meeder, is Michigan's State School Nurse Consultant, a joint position shared by The Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) and Michigan Department of Education (MDE).
Child Abuse and Neglect - School Mandated Reporters
- Mandated Reporters Website
- School Personnel Guide for Reporting Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect
- Michigan Child Protection Law
Chronic Health Conditions
- Asthma - Resources
- Model Policy on the Management of Asthma in Schools
- Michigan Inhaler/EPI Pen Law
- School Asthma Education Packet
- State Board of Education Approved Model Policy on the Management of Diabetes in the School Setting
- American Diabetes Association - Safe at Schools
- National Diabetes Education Program
- Diabetes Care Tasks at School: What Key Personnel Need to Know
Sample Diabetes Medical Management Plans
- Michigan Department of Community Health webpage: www.michigan.gov/ebola
- Web Feature, "What Parents Need to Know About Enterovirus D68"
- Drop-in newsletter article, "Parents: Learn the Facts about Enterovirus D68"
- Fact sheet for parents, "What Parents Need to Know about Enterovirus D68"
- General questions and answers for the public
- Infographic: Keep Your Child from Getting and Spreading Enterovirus D68
- Model Notification of Rights Under the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Sample HIPPA Compliant Release of Information
- Information for Parents: Human Papillomavirus, Meningococcal & Other Vaccines for Pre-Teens and Teens
- School Immunization Requirements
Laws and Guidelines that Impact School Health Services
- Laws That Affect School Health Services Programs in Michigan
- Laws That Affect School Health Services Programs in Michigan - summary chart
- Addendum to the 2002 Model Policy and Guidelines for Administering Medications to Pupils at School: Guidelines for Responding to an Anaphylaxis Emergency at School
- MASN Annual Conference 2014 May 1-2, 2014, Grand Rapids, MI
- NASN Annual Conference June 28 - July 1, 2014, San Antonio, TX
School Nurse Certification
School Entry Requirements