Early Science and Literacy Instruction
A panel of Michigan and nationally recognized experts in science and literacy joined to create the following statements of belief, consistent with research, about instruction in literacy and science in grades K-3.
- The new science standards are an opportunity.
- Science instruction needs to happen nearly every day.
- Literacy instruction should happen throughout the day.
- Involvement in investigation of natural phenomena and complex problems is important for ALL students.
- Science learning is essential.
- Science education supports literacy development.
- Intensive professional learning for teachers in science and literacy.
Read the document: Supporting Early Literacy Development and Science Instruction