On March 31, 2015, the MDE submitted Michigan’s ESEA Flexibility Renewal Request to the USED for approval (the complete document can be found below).
Michigan’s approved ESEA Flexibility Request expires at the end of the current (2014-2015) school year. The Renewal offered by USED would extend approval through the 2017-2018 school year.
The MDE anticipates that USED will act on an approval decision during Spring 2015.
- ESEA Flexibility Request
- ESEA Flexibility Renewal Form
- On August 22, 2014, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) received a one-year extension to its approved ESEA Flexibility Request. The MDE will continue working with USED on the progression of the educator evaluation system and a high-quality assessment system over the next year, in order to pursue a full renewal of ESEA Flexibility for 2015-16 and beyond.
- Attachments to Michigan's Approved ESEA Flexibility Request
- USED ESEA Approval Letter, August 22, 2014
- The US Department of Education’s July 2012 approval of Michigan’s Flexibility Waiver of the Requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) resulted in Supplemental Educational Services (SES) tutoring services no longer being required in Michigan’s public schools, effective starting in the 2012-2013 school year.
Public School Choice, under Michigan’s amended Flexibility Waiver of ESEA, is no longer required for the 2013-2014 school year.
Persons requiring historical information about Michigan’s SES and Public School Choice programs under the past federal requirements may contact: OlsztaG@michigan.gov.