Michigan's ESSA State Plan
Michigan’s ESSA plan is drafted and open for public comment through March 16, 2017.
Review the draft plan and all supporting documents through the links below.
- Michigan Releases Draft State ESSA Plan for Final Public Comment
- Overview of Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft (2.14.17)
- Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan – Draft for Public Comment (2.14.17)
Additional supporting documents:
- Stakeholder Engagement Activities in the Development of Michigan ESSA Plan Draft (2.14.17) – a brief summarizing the multiple forms of public engagement that informed the development of Michigan’s ESSA Plan
- Presentation to SBE on 2/14/17 regarding Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft
- Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft-Master Slide Deck (2.14.17) – a comprehensive PowerPoint about Michigan’s ESSA Plan
Individuals and organizations are invited to review the plan and submit comments through the following channels:
- Email comments to MDE-ESSA@michigan.gov
- Mail comments to ESSA State Plan Comments, Michigan Department of Education, Office of the State Superintendent, P.O. Box 30008, Lansing, MI 48909
All comments must arrive at MDE no later than close of business on March 16, 2017. We request that comments reflecting the official position of a group or organization be provided on organization letterhead, indicating specific areas of support or concern with various aspects of the plan.
MDE intends to submit the final plan to the U.S. Department of Education for review on April 3, 2017.
About Michigan’s ESSA State Plan
Michigan’s ESSA Plan aligns to the goals and strategies to make Michigan a Top 10 education state in the next 10 years. The plan is organized around four core components:
Supports for Schools and Students
When creating the plan, Michigan consulted regularly with diverse groups of stakeholders via workgroups, online surveys, and targeted focus groups. In addition, MDE staff partnered with intermediate school districts across the state to host Feedback Forums where educators, parents, and community members provided feedback on selected recommended elements of Michigan’s plan.
- Information regarding the development stage of Michigan's ESSA plan is provided below
- Plan Formation Documents
- Fiscal Action Team
- Communication and Outreach Action Team
- Using Data to Inform Instruction and Leadership Action Team