Michigan's ESSA State Plan
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) submitted the state’s final ESSA Plan to the U.S. Department of Education (USED) on April 17, 2017. The plan, signed by both State Superintendent Brian Whiston and Governor Rick Snyder, represents a more whole-child, well-rounded education for Michigan children.
- Overview of Michigan’s ESSA Plan
- Michigan’s Submitted ESSA Plan
- Supporting Documents:
- Press Release: Michigan ESSA Plan Submitted to the U.S. Department of Education
- Giving Michigan Schools a Jump on ESSA
- Cover letter from State Superintendent Brian Whiston
- Cover letter from Governor Rick Snyder
- Summary of Stakeholder Engagement Activities
- USED Crosswalk of Consolidated State Plan Requirements
The plan now will be reviewed by the USED, which includes review by USED staff as well as a structured peer review process for specific sections of the plan. ESSA law provides the U.S. Secretary of Education 120 days to review and approve state plans.
The MDE-ESSA@michigan.gov email account will remain open for additional feedback as the state works with USED on plan approval and throughout implementation of the plan.
About Michigan’s ESSA State Plan
Michigan’s ESSA Plan aligns to the goals and strategies to make Michigan a Top 10 education state in the next 10 years. The plan is organized around four core components:
Supports for Schools and Students
When creating the plan, Michigan consulted regularly with diverse groups of stakeholders via workgroups, online surveys, and targeted focus groups. In addition, MDE staff partnered with intermediate school districts across the state to host Feedback Forums where educators, parents, and community members provided feedback on selected recommended elements of Michigan’s plan.
- Michigan Releases Draft State ESSA Plan For Final Public Comment
- Overview of Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft (2.14.17)
- Overview of Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft (2.14.17) - Spanish
- Overview of Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft (2.14.17) - Arabic
- Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan - Draft for Public Comment (2.14.17)
THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD CLOSED MARCH 16, 2017.
- Stakeholder Engagement Activities in the Development of Michigan ESSA Plan Draft (2.14.17)
- Presentation to SBE on 2/14/17 regarding Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft
- Michigan ESSA Consolidated Plan Draft-Master Slide Deck (2.14.17)
- Plan Formation Documents
- Fiscal Action Team
- Communication and Outreach Action Team
- Using Data to Inform Instruction and Leadership Action Team
- Tactical Review Committee
- External Advisory Committee