National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and National Board CertificationNational Board Certification is more than just adding a set of initials after your name. It is the highest symbol of professional teaching excellence. The rewards are many and becoming a National Board Certified Teacher attests to the fact that you have been judged by your peers as one who is accomplished in your field.
National Board Certification:
- Meets Michigan's definition of a Highly Qualified teacher under NCLB
- Strengthens teaching practice
- Improves students' learning according to a vast majority of research
- Advances teaching careers
- Increases financial opportunities in some Michigan school districts
- Contributes to SCECH/certification renewal requirements
- Michigan certificates match the validity of the NBPTS certificate (approx. 10 years)
Take One!® is a unique offering from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards® that provides a standards-based approach for improving teaching practice and links student learning to effective instruction. Teachers prepare and submit one pre-selected video portfolio entry from any of the current certificate areas of National Board Certification. A teacher can later transfer the score if he or she pursues National Board candidacy.