Educator Workforce Research
The Research Unit within the Office of Educator Excellence (OEE) is responsible for creating long-term and short-term analyses pertinent to workforce issues. The work highlighted on this site is intended to support internal and external stakeholders in making informed decisions regarding educator preparation, credentialing, hiring, professional development, and retention.
- Racial Characteristics of the Michigan Teacher Workforce White Paper
This white paper presents current and longitudinal data on the racial/ethnic composition of the teaching workforce and pipeline in Michigan.
- Teacher Turnover in Michigan: A Look at Teacher Mobility and Attrition Rates
This paper reports trends in school-to-school mobility and attrition in the Michigan teacher workforce.
- Trends in Michigan Teacher Certification: Initial Certificates Issued 1996-2016
Trends in Michigan Teacher Certification: Initial Certificates Issued 1996-2016 focuses on the certificates required to enter the teaching profession (initial certificates), over a five-year period (2011-2012 through 2015-2016). (Revised 2-12-2018)
External Research Resources
- Teacher Turnover and Teacher Shortages: An Organizational Analysis
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Staffing Surveys
- Creating Coherence in the Teacher Shortage Debate: What Policy Leaders Should Know and Do
- Teacher Shortages: Trends, Projections, and What Experts Say
- Understanding and Addressing Teacher Shortages in the United States