Educator Workforce Research
The Research Unit within the Office of Educator Talent (OET) is responsible for creating long-term and short-term analyses pertinent to workforce issues. The work highlighted on this site is intended to support internal and external stakeholders in making informed decisions regarding educator preparation, credentialing, hiring, professional development, and retention.
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) authored white papers leverage the rich data sources available through MDE and the Center for Educational Performance and Information (CEPI) to present Michigan specific workforce data.
- Teacher Turnover in Michigan: A Look at Teacher Mobility and Attrition Rates
This paper reports trends in school-to-school mobility and attrition in the Michigan teacher workforce.
- Trends in Michigan Teacher Certification: Initial Certificates Issued 1996-2016
Trends in Michigan Teacher Certification: Initial Certificates Issued 1996-2016 focuses on the certificates required to enter the teaching profession (initial certificates), over a five-year period (2011-2012 through 2015-2016). (Revised 2-12-2018)
External Research Resources
- Teacher Turnover and Teacher Shortages: An Organizational Analysis
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Staffing Surveys
- Creating Coherence in the Teacher Shortage Debate: What Policy Leaders Should Know and Do
- Teacher Shortages: Trends, Projections, and What Experts Say
- Understanding and Addressing Teacher Shortages in the United States