Family Matters provides parents and families with information about special education and other resources. Download the Family Matters information flyer and share it with parents and families that might be looking for information about special education.
Our fact sheets explain special education laws and practices. The documents are easy to read and give links to more in-depth resources.
- Procedural Safeguards Fact Sheet
- Special Education Process Fact Sheet
- Educational Placement and the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) Fact Sheet
- Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) Fact Sheet
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Fact Sheet
- Privacy and Access to Records Fact Sheet
Stay up-to-date with the news from OSE that matters to parents. Sign-up to receive notification when new information is available.
Other Agencies and Organizations
Other agencies and organizations that work with families and schools to support students with disabilities.
- Michigan Alliance for Families
A parent group that works directly with families across the state.
- Statewide Autism Resources and Training (START) Project
Works with schools, community partners, and families to support students with ASD.
- Michigan Special Education Mediation Program (MSEMP)
Mediators help resolve disagreements between parents and schools.
- IDEA Grant Funded Initiatives
Various initiatives funded by the Office of Special Education to enhance its support for special education in Michigan.
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)
MRS helps individuals with disabilities enter the workforce.
- Center for Parent Information and Resources
A federally-funded center that assists other parent training centers.