Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) administers the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) at the national level and the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) School Nutrition Programs (SNP) team carries the program out at the State level.
FFVP is an optional competitive grant that schools can apply for each year. Schools that receive the grant are given money and guidance so that they can serve fresh fruit and vegetable snacks to students during the school day at no charge.
Elementary schools with at least 50% free and reduced price students and who participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) are eligible to apply. Effective for school year 2017-18, middle and intermediate schools (e.g., grades 4-8, 6-8, 7-8) will no longer be eligible to apply for the program. Also effective 2017-18, only schools able to begin the program within a week of the start of the school year will be considered for the grant award.
For questions related to Michigan FFVP, please contact the FFVP State Coordinator, Adrienne Davenport, MPH, RDN at DavenportA1@michigan.gov or 517-241-1762 or MDE-SchoolNutrition@michigan.gov. Please note that some documents have been taken down due to ADA compliance issues. If you are looking for a document listed below, please email Adrienne.
The 2018-19 school year application will open in MEGS+ by the end of February 2018, and will be due by April 30, 2018. Grant award decisions will be posted on this page and announced via MEGS+ in May.
Starting 2017-18, the grants will continue to be awarded on a school year basis (July 1 - June 30). Funding will be broken into two parts for each school year: July-Sept and Oct-June expenditures. Effective school year 2017-18, applicants must be able to start the program within a week of school starting, or will no longer be considered for the program.
In person trainings are held each August. Please contact Adrienne (email@example.com) to sign up for any trainings or calls, and get the dial-in information. Grant recipients will be required to either attend an in-person training or complete the module below each year.
2017-18 Training and Informational Calls. Please contact Adrienne (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up.
- FFVP Requirements (for participating schools)
- August 1 - 8:30-11 at Calhoun ISD
- August 3 - 8:30-11 at Genesee Career Institute
- August 7 - 1-3:30 at Wayne RESA
- August 25 - 9-11:30 at Detroit Public Schools Community District
- FFVP Admin. Review Requirements (for districts selected for administrative review this school year)
- Nov 7 - 9-10 or 2-3
- Nov 13 - 9-10 or 2-3
TRAINING & PROGRAM OPERATIONS MATERIALS
Buy American Provision
Geographic Preferences in Procurement
FFVP Fees in Food Service Management Contracts
School Gardens and FFVP Fees
- FFVP Self-Monitoring Form (due February 1st for each FFVP school)
- Production Record Template Available Upon Request
- FFVP Best Practice Districts
- USDA FFVP Website (includes FFVP Handbook and other key resources)
- Dig In! Nutrition Education for Fifth and Sixth Graders
- Nutrition Voyage Education for Seventh and Eighth Graders
- Fun Sticker Graphics for Download
Claims and Budget
- FFVP Claim Instructions
- Important Dates for FFVP Budgets and Claims
- Form to Justify Large Equipment Purchases through FFVP (due by December 1)
- Basic Budget Exercise (use one per FFVP school)
- Allowable and Unallowable FFVP One-Pager
ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW OF SCHOOL NUTRITION PROGRAMS - INFO. FOR FFVP SCHOOLS
2017-18 FFVP Districts Up for Administrative Review
FFVP Self-Monitoring Form (due February 1st for each FFVP school)
FFVP Admin Review Checklist
FFVP Allowable and Unallowable Purchases
FFVP Basic Budget Exercise
FFVP Key Dates
FFVP Large Purchase Justification Form
FFVP Self-Monitoring Form