Food Distribution Programs

  • The Food Distribution Program staff has administrative responsibility for the receipt and distribution of USDA Foods and funds that are supplied by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Recipients include schools, residential child care institutions, summer camps, and low-income households in need of nutrition assistance. The annual value of the food purchased for Michigan by the USDA for distribution to schools is over $32 million and over $37 million for household programs. The School Food Distribution Program is available to schools and agencies participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). The household programs administered by the Food Distribution Unit include the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) and The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). The CSFP is designed to improve the health of low-income elderly persons, 60 years and older, by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA donated foods. TEFAP supplements the diets of low-income persons of all ages, including elderly people, by providing emergency food and nutrition assistance.

    Updated USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

    October 2015

    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,

    color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

    (1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

    1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

    (2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or

    (3)        email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.