Physical education helps students develop the knowledge, fitness levels, motor skills, and personal and social skills to obtain the ultimate goal of a lifetime of physical activity and health. All children, from pre-kindergarten through grade 12, should participate in quality physical education classes every school day. A quality physical education program should include curriculum aligned instruction and assessment and an opportunity for all to learn.
Interim Physical Education Consultant:Mary Teachout (517) 335-1730 email@example.com
- Model Policy on Quality Physical Education and Physical Activity in Schools - Approved November 20, 2012
- Promoting Elementary Physical Education: Results of a School-Based Evaluation Study
- Evaluation of the Michigan Exemplary Physical Education Curriculum: Final Report
- Approved Physical Education Grade Level Content Expectations (GLCE), Companion Documents, and PowerPoints.
- Physical Education Michigan Merit Curriculum Guidelines
- Michigan Public Pool Safety Guidelines for Schools The guidelines were created to help clarify pool safety requirements for schools. Topics addressed in this document include lifeguard requirements, safety equipment, and poolside safety.
- Obesity Fact Sheets These fact sheets contain results from weighted Youth Risk behavior Survey (YRBS) and School Health Profiles data related to obesity among youth.
- Participation in High School Physical Education - United States, 1991-2003 A report based on data from the 1991-2003 national Youth Risk Behavior Surveys (YRBS)
- Michigan Parent Teacher Student Association Supports Quality Physical Education
- Physical Education Listserv Join the Michigan Department of Education's Physical Education listserv to receive quarterly updates on physical education.
- Body Mass Index In children and teens, body mass index is used to assess underweight, overweight, and risk for overweight.
- US Obesity Trends 1985-2000 National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Information
- The President's Challenge: Physical Activity and Fitness Awards Program