Academic achievement is one of the cornerstones of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Through the approved Flexibility Waiver for the ESEA, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has identified Priority Schools. Priority Schools are those schools whose ranking on MDE’s Top to Bottom list is in the bottom 5% of all schools in the state. The districts with Title I Priority Schools receive support services from MDE through its partner Intermediate School Districts and Education Service Agencies to build capacity in order to increase student achievement and decrease achievement gaps.
You are here
MI Excel Statewide System of Support
The MI Excel Program works with Title I Priority Schools identified in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
MI Excel Program Contacts
Instructional Learning Cycle Process (3.0)
MI Excel Regional Assistance Grants: ISD/School Service Plans
For a sample of MI Excel Regional Assistance Grant ISD/School Service Plans, contact Karen Ruple
Section 1003(g) School Improvement Grants (SIG)
ESEA Flexibility, the SIG, and Michigan Statute (Public Act 204 of 2009) have had a significant impact on funding, services, and supports delivered to MI Excel Schools through the Statewide System of Support. All three initiatives are require the annual creation of the Top to Bottom List. Priority Schools on that list have the option to apply for a SIG. If awarded this grant, the Title I Priority school no longer receives direct support through MI Excel and the Statewide System of Support. Instead, the school follows an approved SIG plan which may include purchasing MI Excel supports using its SIG funds.
2017-18 Grants Supporting MI Excel Schools
MI Excel Schools receive services and funding to support their school improvement programs and initiatives. The Title I Regional Assistance Grants (RAG) are awarded to Intermediate School Districts with Title I Priority Schools under their jurisdiction.
- 2017-18 Title I Regional Assistance Grants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 2017-18 Regional Assistance Grant Eligible Priority Schools (Coming Soon)
2016-17 Grants Supporting MI Excel Schools
- 2016-17 Title I Regional Assistance Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- 2016-17 Regional Assistance Grant Eligible Schools - February 2017
2015-16 Grants Supporting MI Excel Schools
MI Excel Partners
- The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
- LEA and School Improvement Non-Regulatory Guidance
- Michigan Revised School Code - School Improvement Plans
- MDE Guidance on Federal Grants
Michigan Priority Schools
School Improvement and School Turnaround
- District Readiness to Support School Turnaround
- Building Capacity of Massachusetts Districts in Turnaround Efforts
- Identifying, Selecting and Retaining Turnaround Leaders: How-To Modules
- Profiles of School Turnaround Strategies in Selected Sites
- Summary: The Association Between State Interventions in Chronically Low-Performing Schools and Student Achievement