Schools and Child Care SettingsInformation for Parents:
- MDCH Handout for K-12 schools on flu vaccines
- MDCH Handout for preschools and day cares on flu vaccines
- Children, the Flu, and the Flu Vaccine
- More information for parents and families
Information for Schools:
- Guidance for School Administrators to Help Reduce the Spread of Seasonal Influenza in K-12 Schools
- How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu
- Seasonal Flu Information for Schools & Childcare Providers
- Flu Questions & Answers for Schools
- Utilize materials in the Michigan Schools Pandemic Planning Workbook & Online Toolkit for Educators to prepare schools for seasonal flu.
- Every year, more than 164 million school days are lost due to illness.(National Health Interview Survey, 1995)
- Approximately 1/5 of the U.S. population attends or works in schools. (U.S. Dept of Ed, 1999)
- Some viruses and bacteria can live from 20 minutes up to 2 hours or more on surfaces like cafeteria tables, doorknobs, and desks. (Ansari, 1988; Scott and Bloomfield, 1989)
- Addressing the spread of germs in schools is essential to the health of our youth, our schools, and our nation.
- Students need to get plenty of sleep and physical activity, drink water, and eat good food to help them stay healthy in the winter and all year