Michigan Tobacco Quitline Resources for Health Care Professionals
The Michigan Tobacco Quitline offers free information and referral to all Michigan residents who want to quit using tobacco. Qualifying residents also may receive free one-on-one coaching and nicotine replacement therapy to help them quit. The Quitline is funded through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and is operated by the National Jewish Health, the premier medical and research institution focusing on respiratory diseases in the United States.
- What is the Michigan Tobacco Quitline?
- What happens when patients call the Quitline?
- Who qualifies for the Quitline?
- Does Medicaid cover Quitline services?
Yes. Most Michigan Managed Care plans partner with the Michigan Tobacco Quitline and offer Tobacco Cessation Benefits to help members quit. To receive benefits, Medicaid members need a prescription from their health care provider to be filled at their local pharmacy.
- How can patients access the Quitline services?
- Phone: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669) (Spanish-language option available)
- Website: https://michigan.quitlogix.org/
- Please Note: Quitline posters and referral cards are available to help you promote Quitline services to your patients. To order, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Michigan Tobacco Quitline Fax Referral Program Makes It Easy!
The Michigan Tobacco Quitline offers a special "quick enroll" Fax Referral Program designed to help you quickly and easily enroll patients who use tobacco but are ready to quit in the next 30 days.
To enroll a patient, simply confirm that he or she is ready to quit within 30 days. Then, simply fill out a Fax Referral Form (below), and ask the patient to initial the consent box and sign the form, giving permission for the Quitline to call him or her.*
Fax the form to the number provided, and you're done! The Quitline will process your fax, and its trained Quit Coaches will take it from there.
- Understanding the Fax Referral Program and How It Works for You
- Instructions for Participating
- Fax Referral Form (for patients with contraindications, such as heart disease or heart-related conditions, uncontrolled high blood pressure, stroke, or heart attack in the last 12 months, and/or who are pregnant or breast feeding)
- Provider Web Referral (for patients without any contraindications)
- How to fill out the Fax Referral Form
*A provider signature is also needed if the patient is pregnant and/or has uncontrolled high blood pressure or heart disease and wants nicotine replacement therapy from the Quitline.