Diabetes Self-Management Education Certification Program
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) is an interactive, collaborative, ongoing process involving individuals who have diabetes or are at risk of developing the disease and diabetes educators. This process includes:
- Assessment of individual needs
- Identification of specific diabetes preventive or self-management goals
- Education and behavioral intervention designed to help individuals achieve identified self-management/prevention goals
- Evaluation and support of self-management efforts and future needs
List of Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs
DSME Map – Find a location near you.
Who is Eligible?
People with diabetes or prediabetes, that are; newly diagnosed, have had a change in treatment or condition, or have never received comprehensive diabetes self-management education (does not assure coverage).
For ADA approved programs visit www.diabetes.org
For AADE approved programs visit www.diabeteseducator.org
INFORMATION FOR PROVIDERS
The certification process is based on National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education, MDHHS, American Association of Diabetes Educators and American Diabetes Association requirements. Programs that provide DSME are required to:
- Use an instructional team that maintains current knowledge in diabetes management, behavioral interventions, and skills in teaching, learning and counseling
- Focus on individualized educational planning, even in group settings
- Implement a continuous quality improvement process
|On June 5, 2015, a joint statement regarding Diabetes Self-Management Education was released by the American Diabetes Association, American Association of Diabetes Educators and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Please click on the following link to read this important statement.
Site visits are made to review implementation of the national standards and to provide consultation and technical assistance.
Certified programs are partners of the Michigan Diabetes Prevention and Control Program and part of a large network of agencies involved in diabetes preventive care and education.
Consultation is provided at no charge to eligible programs interested in obtaining certification.
Provider Handbook is available upon request.
Certification Program Coordinator:
Dawn Crane, RN, MS, ACNS-BC, CDE
Apply For Certification
- Certification/Recertification Policy
- Medicaid Reimbursement Policy
- Individual Application
- Group Application
Required for certification
- Notification of Change Form
- Annual Reports Policy
- Statistical Reports Policy
- Standards and MDHHS Review Criteria
- Telemedicine Addenda
- Guidelines for the Annual Review and Planning Process and for Writing the Annual Report
- Annual Report Auto Form – Short
- Annual Report Auto Form – Long
- Annual Statistical Report Form
- Stat Report Instructions for Custom Access
- Stat Report Instructions for Custom Excel