Immunization Waiver Information
In December, 2014, the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules approved a new educational requirement for Michigan parents opting their children out of getting vaccinated before entering school.
The new rule allows parents/guardians to have the opportunity to speak with a health educator from their local health department about their concerns and questions regarding immunizations prior to the nonmedical waiver being signed.
Any parent/guardian who wants to claim a nonmedical waiver will need to receive education regarding the benefits of vaccination and the risks of disease from a county health department before obtaining the certified nonmedical waiver form through the Local Health Department. The new rule requires the use of the State of Michigan nonmedical waiver form dated January 1, 2015.
MDHHS Communicable and Related Diseases Administrative Rules
- Vaccine Recommendations and School or Daycare Rules, What is the difference? New!
- Nonmedical Waiver Rule for Childhood Immunizations in School and Licensed Childcare: Information for Parents/Guardians (Frequently Asked Questions) Updated 4/13/16
- Claiming a Nonmedical Immunization Waiver for Children Attending Michigan Schools and Licensed Childcares (Key Points for Parents/Guardians) Updated 4/20/16
- County Health Department Map - Click on a county to locate your Local Health Department
Schools and Childcare Centers
- Nonmedical Waiver Rule for Childhood Immunizations: Information for Schools and Licensed Childcare Centers (Frequently Asked Questions) Updated 4/13/16
Health Care Providers
- Immunization Rules for Claiming Nonmedical or Medical Waivers for Immunizations (Frequently Asked Questions for Health Care Providers) Updated 4/19/16
- Documenting a Refusal to Consent to Vaccination
- Guide to Contraindications and Precautions to Commonly Used Vaccines
- Medical Contraindication Form - 2016 - English
- Medical Contraindication Form - 2016 - Spanish
Local Health Departments
- Sample Immunization Waiver Form
- Vaccine Education Center - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- LHD Resources for Preparing Staff
- If You Choose Not to Vaccinate Your Child
- Waiver Education: Amount of Antigens
- Waiver Education: Risk of Disease
- Waiver Education: Understanding Pain
- Waiver Education: Number of Doses in Vaccine Series
- Waiver Education: MMR Vaccine
- Waiver Education: Vaccine Safety
- Waiver Education: Comparing Natural and Vaccine Immunity
- Waiver Education: How Vaccines are Produced
- Waiver Education: Type of Vaccine Ingredients