MichiVan, sponsored by the Michigan Department of Transportation and operated by Enterprise Rideshare, supplies fully insured passenger vans to commuter groups. Under this program:
- 7 to 15 commuters share a van along an established route.
- Riders pay a monthly fee as low as $64 per month based on their one way mileage commute and the size of the van.
- MichiVan operators provide the vehicle and picks up the tab on maintenance, insurance, titling, licensing and repairs.
- One person volunteers to be the primary driver of the van and rides FREE.
- A vanpool group usually meets at a centralized location, such as a shopping mall, grocery store or carpool lot.
- A free emergency ride home service for unexpected occurrences such as overtime, a family emergency or illness or injury in the work place.
The vanpool program is open to individual members of the public. MichiVan provider(s) also helps employers develop vanpools and ridesharing programs for their employees.