Right-of-Way Construction Permits
This unit has the regulatory authority for managing the use of the State highway Right-of-Way and adjacent boundaries as stipulated in Act 200 of 1969 (Driveway, Banner and Parade Act), Administrative Rules regulating Driveways, Banners and Parades, Act 368 of 1925 (Encroachment Act), and Act 106 of 1972 (Highway Advertising Act). This unit regulates private and public entity's use of the State highway Right-of-Way by acting as the primary liaison between MDOT and other state governmental agencies, the Federal Highway Administration, utility companies, and permit applicants.
Permits and information for the following operations can be obtained by contacting the appropriate Transportation Service Center by using the Utility and Permit TSC Contact Guide.
- Vegetation and Drainage Control
- Rest Areas
- Billboard Vegetation Removal/Trimming
All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway online service.
- Instructions for Governmental Agencies, Schools and Colleges
- Instructions for Delegating a Business or Individual
- Instructions for Registering a Business
- Instructions for CPS Individual Applicants
- CPS Application Guide
For technical problems related to MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG), please email us at MDOT-MPG@michigan.gov or call 844-806-0002.
For technical problems related to CPS please contact MDOT-CPS-Questions@michigan.gov.
- DSD Permits-Construction Forms
- Are You Building on a State Highway?
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility Policy for Construction and Utility Permits
- MDOT Maintenance Work Zone Traffic Control Guidelines 2007
- Maintaining Traffic Typicals for Freeways
- Maintaining traffic Typicals for Non-Freeways
- Pre-Approved Environmental Cleanup Companies
- Public Act 200 (Admin Rules Regulating Driveways, Banners and Parades)
Insurance and Bonds
For more information regarding the Right-of-Way Construction Permit Program, contact:
Joe Rios, Statewide Construction Permit Coordinator