I-75 Rouge River project: All southbound I-75 lanes to close from Detroit to Downriver in early 2017Contact: Diane Cross, MDOT Office of Communications
Detroit, Melvindale, River Rouge, Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Taylor, Southgate, and
PROJECT START DATE:
ESTIMATED END DATE:
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is investing an estimated $165 million in major repairs to I-75 from Detroit to Brownstown Township over a two-year period. The I-75 Rouge River Detroit-Downriver Connection project will begin in early 2017, depending on weather. Southbound I-75 will be closed and detoured while northbound I-75 will remain open at all times.
The project includes:
- Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the I-75 Rouge River Bridge, the bridge with the largest concrete surface area in Michigan.
- Removing and replacing the concrete surface on the two Dearborn Street ramp bridges adjacent to the Rouge River Bridge, as well as at the Fort Street bridge just north of the Rouge River Bridge.
- Removing and replacing the bridges carrying I-75 over Goddard Road and the drain north of Goddard Road.
- Overhauling 13 other bridges along I-75 through the Downriver communities.
- Adding intelligent transportation system (ITS) equipment, which includes electronic signs, cameras, and traffic information gathering equipment to help MDOT communicate to drivers about travel times, safety, and mobility issues.
- Pavement patching on northbound and southbound I-75 between the Rouge River and Goddard Road.
I-75 detour: Southbound I-75 will be closed from Springwells Street in Detroit to North Line Road in Southgate. Southbound I-75 traffic will be detoured, while northbound traffic will be maintained on northbound lanes in 2017 and on southbound lanes in 2018. The posted detour for commercial vehicles will include southbound I-75 to westbound I-96, then southbound I-275 to southbound I-75 in Monroe.
To allow residents, businesses, and drivers plenty of time to prepare alternate routes, motorists will see warning signs posted well in advance of the project saying, "South 75 exit 45 to 37 will close in early 2017." Signs listing the project website, www.75rougeriver.com, are posted as well. Other project details can also be found on the project website.
Passenger vehicle alternate route options include I-94, M-85 (Fort Street), Jefferson Avenue, and Dix Highway.