State-Owned Rail Lines
The Michigan Department of Transportation manages 665 miles of state-owned rail lines. These five lines are operated under contract by five freight railroads. Intercity passenger rail service is also provided on the corridor between Kalamazoo and Dearborn.
Accessing State-Owned Property
As the state's accelerated rail corridor, access between Kalamazoo and Dearborn is managed a little differently than the other state-owned rail corridors. Amtrak's design standards and specification apply, and Amtrak issues temporary access permits. MDOT provides the occupancy permits and/or long-term agreements for facilities on this corridorwhile it handles all permitting on the other corridors.
A permit must be obtained to access any state-owned property.
Amtrak (Dearborn-Kalamazoo maintaining railroad & passenger operations)
Great Lakes Central Railroad (Ann Arbor-Petoskey)
Huron & Eastern Railway (Munger-Millington-Colling)
Indiana Northeastern Railroad (Litchfield-Ray)
Lake State Railway (Linwood-Sallings)
Norfolk Southern Railway (Dearborn-Kalamazoo freight provider)
State-Owned Rail Contacts:
Nikkie Johnson Operating & Property Management 517-335-0939 Ryan Weiss Track Engineer (excluding accelerated rail corridor) 517-335-2926 Ryan Hoensheid Railroad Bridge Engineer 517-290-6376 Mike DeBoer Construction Engineer (accelerated rail corridor) 517-256-8368 Jim D’Lamater Freight Infrastructure Engineering Manager 517-335-3577 Shaun Bates Accelerated Rail Infrastructure Engineering Manager 517-896-7615
- Private Crossings on State-Owned Lines
- Contractor Pre-Qualification (required for MDOT bid projects)
- 2015 Specifications (applies to all lines except Dearborn-Kalamazoo*)
- Typical Plans (applies to all lines except Dearborn-Kalamazoo*)
- MDOT Real Estate
- State Transportation Preservation Act of 1976
- Natural Resources & Environmental Protection Act: Snowmobiles on Railroad Rights-of-Way
- *Different design standards and specifications apply to the accelerated rail corridor between Kalamazoo and Dearborn. Please contact Ryan Hoensheid to obtain.