close print view
Public meetings scheduled for Chicago-Detroit/Pontiac Passenger Rail Corridor ProgramContact: Janet Foran, MDOT Communications,
- Departments of transportation in Michigan, Illinois and Indiana are hosting a series of public meetings to help prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on the Chicago-Detroit/Pontiac Passenger Rail Corridor.
- The EIS will help evaluate passenger rail improvements along a 304-mile corridor in three states.
- Public comments must be received by Oct. 15 and can be submitted in multiple ways.
- Check the website for more details: www.GreatLakesRail.org.
September 5, 2012 -- The departments of transportation for Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, in association with the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), are announcing a series of public meetings for an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) that will be prepared for the Chicago-Detroit/Pontiac Passenger Rail Corridor Program. The meetings are being held to:
- Introduce the public to the program,
- Discuss the purpose and need for improvements,
- Present a range of possible route alternatives, and
- Identify potential issues that should be considered in the EIS.
The EIS is being prepared to evaluate passenger rail improvements along a 304-mile rail corridor between Chicago and Detroit/Pontiac, Mich. The EIS will evaluate the effects of upgrading rail infrastructure and facilities to safely accommodate potential passenger rail service improvements. Effects on the natural environment, jobs, the economy, air quality, traffic, and neighborhoods will be considered. MDOT and its state and federal partners are seeking input from all members of the public, government agencies and tribes. Staff will be available to answer questions at four upcoming meetings. Exhibits and other reference materials will be on display and presentations made.
All comments must be received by Oct. 15 to be included in this step of the EIS process. Multiple options for submitting comments are available including:
- Fill out a comment form at a public meeting,
- Use the online comment form at www.GreatLakesRail.org,
- Dial the toll-free number at 877- 351-0853, and
- Mail your written comments to Bob Parsons, MDOT, P.O. Box 30050, Lansing, MI 48909.
Public meetings will be held in each of the three states and will be open to the public between 4 and 7 p.m. A presentation will be held at 4:30 p.m. and repeated at 6 p.m. The same information will be presented at each meeting.
Wednesday, Sept. 12, 4 to 7 p.m. CDT
Chicago Union Station in the Union Gallery Room (off the Great Hall)
500 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago
Thursday, Sept. 13, 4 to 7 p.m. CDT
Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan