I-75 and Zilwaukee Bridge improvements to begin April 1Contact: Anita Richardson, MDOT Office of Communications,
- MDOT will invest $70 million in I-75 and Zilwaukee Bridge improvements.
- Janes Road bridge work over I-75 began in November 2012.
- Roadwork extends from Janes Road to the north junction of I-675.
- Work includes replacing bearings on I-75's Zilwaukee Bridge.
March 25, 2013 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is reconstructing 4 miles of I-75, as well as replacing all bearing pads at piers and expansion joints on the Zilwaukee Bridge in Saginaw County during the 2013 construction season. Work on I-75 and the Zilwaukee Bridge will occur simultaneously during this overall $70 million project.
Improvements include reconstructing I-75 from Janes Road to the north junction of I-675, guardrail and storm drainage work, pavement restoration, and shoulder work on all Zilwaukee Bridge ramps. Total investment: $29 million.
Janes Road and Wadsworth Road bridges over I-75
The Janes Road bridge over I-75 will be replaced. Work, which began in November 2012, includes slope paving and approach replacement. The bridge is currently closed with traffic detoured to Wadsworth Road. Once Janes Road bridge work is complete, crews will begin resurfacing the Wadsworth Road bridge over I-75, including repair work under the bridge, painting, and concrete surface coating. Wadsworth traffic will be detoured to Janes Road. Total investment: $6 million.
The Zilwaukee Bridge project includes replacing bearings, bridge deck overlay and barrier repairs, and electrical work. Southbound bearing replacement, including the road and bridge work project, begins April 1 and continues through January 2014. Northbound bearing replacement will begin after work on the southbound lanes is completed, and is expected to last through January 2015. Total investment: $36 million.
Work on the Zilwaukee Bridge includes:
- Replacing 32 expansion joint bearings (16 in each direction).
- Replacing 98 pier bearings (48 northbound and 50 southbound).
- Replacing eight abutment bearings (four in each direction).
- Repairing or replacing almost 10,000 feet of bridge barrier.
- Repairing 3.2 percent of the total surface area of the bridge deck concrete overlay.
- Applying a sealant to the bridge deck in both directions, including Ramp H.
- Replacing all bearings on Ramp H.
I-75 traffic restrictions are as follows:
- April 1-27: southbound I-75 traffic will be detoured via I-675.
- Janes Road will remain closed and detoured via Outer Drive, Wadsworth Avenue and Tower Line Road.
- Starting April 27, northbound I-75 traffic will be maintained on I-75 Wednesday to Saturday, with traffic detoured using I-675 Sunday to Tuesday.
- Southbound I-75 traffic will be maintained on I-75 Sunday to Tuesday, with traffic detoured using I-675 Wednesday to Saturday.
For up-to-date information on this project and to sign up for e-mail updates, visit MDOT's I-75 and Zilwaukee Bridge improvements project Web site at: www.michigan.gov/z-bridge. Business owners and community stakeholders can contact the Bay City Transportation Service Center at 989-671-1555 or MDOTemail@example.com.
Overall, this project will maximize the service life of the bridge and improve the overall condition of this section of I-75.MDOT reminds drivers: Snowplows need room to groom.