close print view
William D. Monroe (1908-1968)
Few municipal officials worked with more dedication than Monroe to secure adequate financing for Michigan's network of streets, roads and highways. He played a key role in the development of "Good Roads" legislation enacted in 1967, culminating ten years as member or chairman of the Michigan Municipal League's Roads and Streets Committee. The following year he became president of the Michigan Good Roads Federation. Monroe was widely recognized as one of the state's most able and far-seeing municipal engineers, first as city engineer of Marquette (1950-1955) and then of Jackson (1955-1968).
Michigan Transportation Hall of Honor, 1976