M-231 near Nunica, Ottawa County
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is constructing M-231, a new two-lane, limited access roadway from M-45 (Lake Michigan Drive) north to the I-96/M-104/112th Avenue interchange near Nunica in Ottawa County. It will be located west of the existing 120th Avenue roadway.
In addition, a new bridge will be constructed over the Grand River along this new route, making it only the fourth river crossing in Ottawa County. Work includes M-104 improvements near the M-231 intersection, a new I-96 interchange at M-231, and adding a westbound on ramp and eastbound off ramp to the I-96/112th Avenue interchange.
- The substructure has been built and two-thirds of the steel beams have been set for the bridge over the Grand River.
- The bridge over Little Robinson Creek is complete.
- The bridge over North Cedar Drive is complete.
- M-104 has been reconstructed and widened from west of 124th Avenue east to I-96.
- The 112th Avenue bridge over I-96 has been replaced and widened to four lanes.
- The ramps at 112th Avenue and I-96 have been reconstructed, with the addition of a new westbound I-96 on ramp and a new eastbound I-96 off ramp.
- The Cleveland Street/Apple Drive/112th Avenue intersection has been reconfigured.
- Work to widen M-45 for the new M-231 intersection is currently in its second stage. The south portion has been reconstructed and widened at 120th Avenue. Work continues on the north side.
- The Stearns Creek bridge substructure is complete, the beams are set, and work on the superstructure is under way.
- The Buchanan Street bridge substructure is complete with beams set.
- The Rich Street bridge substructure is complete. Additional work is pending the reopening of Buchanan Street (only one of these two can be closed at any one time).
- The Lincoln Street/M-231 intersection has been reconstructed and widened. It has reopened on the base course asphalt. Remaining asphalt will be placed during M-231 paving later this fall.
- The Sleeper Street bridge has pile-driving work under way.
- M-231 grade work from M-45 to Little Robinson Creek has the bulk of the earthwork and embankment complete; however, some segments are still ongoing. Gravel is in place in many locations. Base-course paving will continue intermittently through the summer, with leveling-course paving planned for this fall. Final paving, shoulder gravel, etc., will be completed in spring 2015.
- The Leonard Street bridge is substantially complete.
- Roadway paving is partially complete with leveling-course asphalt from Cypress Street to M-104. Final paving, shoulder gravel, etc., will be completed in 2015.
US-31 Bypass Public Meeting Presentation
MuskegonTransportation Service Center, 231-777-3451
Sign up for e-mail alerts from MDOT